rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

When did you first realise that you were ageing?

When did you first realise that you were ageing?

Quote: (10-19-2017 12:18 PM)fortysix Wrote:  

Quote: (10-13-2017 08:24 AM)monsquid Wrote:  

Experience can only be gained by making mistakes, putting in the time, and trying things in life. No short cuts to gaining experience. Seems like mother nature has a balancing system. Imagine how unfair it would be if those more capable or rich could buy or easily acquire experience.

I realized I was getting older when I started feeling pain in my knees from years of long distance running. Older runners used to tell me to take it easy but I always thought that it would never happen to me.

Also quit drinking because it's just not the same as when you were younger.

Ouch - did you stop running because of this? It seems I see many more older runners than I see older lifters, so I know some people are able to power through this. What ended up happening?

I still run but nothing greater than 5 miles at most. Usually I do 3 miles once a week with 15 minute high tempo runs mixed with kettlebell and bodyweight workouts. The high tempo runs are still not that great because of the increased impact, but I can't help it -- I have to run. Running is a major stress relief and extremely enjoyable for me mentally and physically. Right knee bothers me from time to time but I take Ibuprofen to deal with it.

I've also started running in sandals for barefoot style and it's helped a lot. Xeroshoes sandals seem to work best for my type of feet. My marine buddy also worked with me to develop a more efficient and safer running style focusing on midfoot strike, using gravity, and focusing on pulling between strides instead of pushing. Seems to be working. People give me weird looks when they see me doing easy 7:30 min/mile pace in sandals lol.

I guess my perspective is that you gotta take care of your body so that you can maximize its use. You still gotta use it up and it's gonna degrade on its own, so I refused to stop running despite some knee pain.

Messages In This Thread