rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Thailand: A good country for older men.

Thailand: A good country for older men.

Quote: (09-11-2017 12:25 PM)MRG1946 Wrote:  

When a massage lady comes into my apartment and stays for a few hours, the neighbors won't start gossiping.

Quote: (09-12-2017 01:49 AM)Suits Wrote:  

How could you possibly know that this is true?

Good point. Suits' challenge started me thinking. The topic of gossip is important for expats:

1. In a culture where direct speech is forbidden, gossip is used to inform someone that he is doing something that violates cultural norms.

2. I listen carefully to gossip that reaches me, in order to mentally "map" the gossip networks which touch me. I try to learn the inputs and outputs of those gossip networks. And I sometimes "salt" the inputs, intentionally, in order to see what comes out, where, and when. (But the actual transmission paths are unknown to me, and unknowable.)

3. I actually pay for gossip, with generous tips, as a way to encourage the locals to keep me informed of gossip (related to me) that I otherwise might not know.

4. Finally, how to I know that the neighbors won't gossip if a massage lady comes in to my apartment for a few hours? People don't gossip about what is ordinary and common. Gossip is about what is (a) strange and unusual, or (b) violates cultural values.

Valuable to keep aware of this. Thank you, Suits, for your comment.

Messages In This Thread