rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Creativity Corner

Creativity Corner

Quote: (07-15-2017 02:35 PM)TooFineAPoint Wrote:  

Quote: (07-15-2017 10:08 AM)crdr Wrote:  

Quote: (07-15-2017 12:53 AM)TooFineAPoint Wrote:  

Cinematography is the only serious art involved in cinema, and the cinematographer the most important person on set. Writing comes a distant second. Actors are chimps. A smart director surrounds himself with a sharp cinematographer, a competent writer (sometimes himself), an obsessive chimp, and a few docile/trained chimps.

Read everything you can get your hands on by Vittorio Storaro, Nestor Almendros, Conrad Hall, and Gordon Willis.

Most artists are lazy cunts, and think an audience is owed to them. 0.1% of them are poetic visionaries who feed our souls and help separate us from the other animals.

I also recommend reading Sculpting In Time by Andrei Tarkovsky.

Don't forget to add Roger Deakins (Any Coen Brothers Movie) and Emmanuel Lubezki(Children of Men) to the list. These two are the best DPs in the game right now.
In visual effects, Douglas Trumbull (2001: A Space Odyssey) is a great guy to study and steal from.

American Cinematographer Publications such as the Magazine whenever a good movie comes out and the Handbook are very good supplements.

Ridiculously great advice. Too bad Vittorio Storaro's (Apocalypse Now) book Writing With Light is very expensive for the beginner.

There is a book that Nestor recommends. Which I second called: Bare Bones Camera and Video course by Tom Schroeppel

Also, there's a Cinematography school by an actual ASC member Shane Hurlbut. You may know him from the guy who got yelled at by Christian Bale in that meltdown on set of Terminator Salvation

I love that audio.

Anyway, crdr, if you haven't heard of him, check out Oleg Mutu. He shot The Death Of Mr Lazarescu and my favorite movie of the last decade My Joy.

That was mostly shot with an old video 8 camcorder with no external mic.

Yeah, this movie looks really funny and simple. Which I completely miss. American films are too convoluted and busy. I'm having a hard time finding Foreign films online. Does anyone know where I can go to stream them legally?

Messages In This Thread