rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

To Stay or Go (University Related)

To Stay or Go (University Related)

Quote: (07-14-2017 12:10 AM)Suits Wrote:  

Quote: (07-11-2017 08:18 PM)RBerkley Wrote:  

The lesson is that you have to find what makes you happy. I was unhappy attending a feminist university while my financial situation was almost broke, but it's been almost 18 months since I left, and my financial situation and well-being are at least better.

When I was a university student in Toronto, I couldn't even afford to travel outside of the city boundaries of Toronto!, but now, my financial situation is better that I can afford at least 3 or 4 vacations at Mexican resorts a year If I wanted to.

Obviously, you'll be in a better financial situation if you are not paying university tuition and have time to work fulltime.

The real discussion is about long-term income earning.

It goes without saying that finishing a four year degree (or additional advanced education) will require sacrifice in the short term with a potential pay off in the future.

Not that I'm all for people investing in university degrees. But the argument that you'll be more financially stable if you dropped out right now isn't exactly in the outer realm of critical thinking, which is something that you are supposed to learn if you go to university (but probably won't). I did.

Ironically, the critical thinking skills I learned from the generally very excellent professors led me to question the actions of school administrators, including asking questions and engaging in activities that they most certainly frowned upon.

In terms of quality of life, moreso than long term income, I feel like if I were to get a degree in Europe (I've started to narrow down my search locations) it would be much more beneficial than just flat out dropping out. I know actual earned income will heavily depend on whether or not I am able to find work and integrate into whatever country I decide to live in, but I'm hopeful.

Am I defending my position? Maybe, but even if I don't agree with the advice given I appreciate that you've all given it.

One thing I'm definitely going to do is take advantage of internships while in DC and attempt to get my foot in the door somewhere. GWU might be expensive as all hell (it really is, let's be real), but what they offer is a pipeline into work that brings a stable and fairly substantial income if you know how to tap into it. That's something that can also happen in Benelux and I'd also assume one of the top schools in C.E.Europe... but I could be wrong on that second university.

Messages In This Thread