rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cobra's fitness and lifting journey

Cobra's fitness and lifting journey

Quote: (05-30-2017 06:45 PM)Corollary Wrote:  

To clarify, you can always focus on maximizing recovery or switch up your routine. But when you're pressing 70 pounds, you could get away with no sleep and no food and still make progress, because you're far from running out of newbie gains.

When it comes to strength training, the movements that use smaller muscles, like the press, tend to increase as the squat increase. Since you squat 100 lbs, it's not surprising you press 70 lbs.

I bet if you only trained the squat for the next eleven months and added in presses in the twelfth month, your squat and press would be greater than if you continued with your current program for the next year. Obviously you shouldn't do that because you probably want to keep your body balanced, but when looking at it from a pure strength perspective, squats will get you a long way.

As for the arm pain, it's unlikely any kind of technique could cause pain when lifting with less than half your body weight. I'd look at your shoulder and upper back mobility instead. If you can't get into the right position because of mobility restrictions, you'll experience pain with light weights.

I really appreciate the insight. This is one of the things I somewhat knew (overall strength) but didn't really have credibility in that thought until you explained it clearly.

Quote: (05-30-2017 07:24 PM)realologist Wrote:  

Sleep is a big problem that you need to address. I understand the kid issue as I have two boys myself but I usually take them to bed around 8. Sometimes they go to sleep in 5 minutes, sometimes in an hour. Either way they go to sleep by 9. Better believe I'm asleep soon after 9 everyday. That will help with your gains tremendously.

If you have to lift/work out on the weekends. I do both weekend days with one being a heavy day and the other one being a light/medium day. I usually do it in the morning. Gyms are dead so you have a lot of time and space to operate.

Another area of recovery is making sure you get enough protein. That will help create more muscle as opposed to fat.

Other than that just keep on lifting. You'll see your strength go up a lot at this point if you keep going. You are still at the start of newbie gains. With those newbie gains you will gain a little fat as well so don't be scared of it.

Did you have any prior injuries with your shoulder/rotator cuff or is it just from the recent pressing?

It's tough to say I had prior injuries. What ended up happening was that over a year ago when I was lifting a little less than I do now, I used to use dumbells for presses. As I was on the bench doing probably the 5th set of 5, at about the 3rd one, I felt exhausted as the weight was going up and I dropped it to the side. However, on the right side, the way I dropped it was really awkward and that kept me from the gym for quite a while after that. In a few weeks, I believe I was fine though anyways. Didn't go to the doctor or anything and didn't think it was a huge issue. Even this time, I'm telling myself that this kind of stuff happens. Plus, given the quick recovery this time, I'm guessing this kind of thing is normal and likely result of bad form.

Quote: (06-01-2017 08:03 AM)Bland Wrote:  

Here's my advice:

Try to eat smaller meals every two hours. That's what professional body builders tend to do.

Track your Calories on an app like Lose It to make sure you get enough. When you get used to it, it takes about 5 minutes per day.

Protein at every meal. You should be getting at least 1g per pound of body weight.

Thank you. I will start using myfitnesspal again. The 2 hour thing also is a great idea.

That said, I'll be honest. The last few days, it was like I was on a hunt for protein. Stopping at the convenience store, a bar here, a shake there. Getting an extra sandwich for the meat... it was exhausting. Of course, the answer is meal preparation. I know I should make time for that but it will be difficult. I started by buying such essentials as flax seed, almonds etc.

The 1g of protein per pound per day. Man... that's crazy to me and requires some significant discipline. Are all of you guys that are disciplined and gaining doing this? I always thought of this as broscience at some level but again, what do I know.

Quote: (06-02-2017 01:12 PM)Agastya Wrote:  

Make sure you get a physical therapist to get your joints, back, and hips properly stretched out and loosened up. You might have incredibly tight ligaments as a result of sitting all day (and being 39), which will make it impossible to progress on your squat or dead. I'm only 21 but I had the same problem. I would recommend that you first build up your flexibility and learn how to sit with perfect posture (which most people don't know how to do -- physical therapists are very helpful in this regard). Then get a trainer to teach you the lifts with perfect form and help you out with your diet.

To be honest, at your age you are just going to get stiffer and stiffer and this will probably be your greatest impediment towards gaining strength. Make sure that your body is completely loosened up and healthy before you get into any serious weightlifting.

This is a great idea Agastya. I will be looking to do this. I appreciate the suggestion.

Quote: (06-02-2017 03:26 PM)vinman Wrote:  

Supplement with some heavy singles with the push press. A single is 1 rep, and that is considered a set. So 5 heavy singles is 5 sets.

The barbell push press is a dynamic compound exercise that increases strength and power in both the upper and lower body. The main focus of this exercise are the shoulders, hips, and core. Keep your elbows tucked in and close to your shoulder to maintain tension on your shoulders while pressing the bar overhead.

I'm assuming you start off with the bar in a squat rack or power cage? Seems like a great idea. I just get worried I will overdo the weight limit.

Messages In This Thread