rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why the movie Fight Club is so popular within the Self help / PUAs / Red pill crowd ?

Why the movie Fight Club is so popular within the Self help / PUAs / Red pill crowd ?

I like Patrice O'Neil, but he totally misses the point here. The movie went right over his head. I don't blame him for it; he's a great guy with precious insights on a lot of things. But this one is outside of his range of experience. He doesn't get it because, to be blunt, he grew up as a poor black dude from Roxbury in Boston with a different set of life experiences. I love the guy, but his one is just not his thing. He's not an intellectual and this is not his thing. Notice I did not say he is unintelligent. He is very, very intelligent, and very perceptive.

But, guess what, B? This one is not for you. Step aside, and let us, the real downtrodden, the real marginalized, the real persecuted, handle it. Sit your ass down and listen. We are the real oppressed, not you. Prepare to be schooled.

The existential angst, the repressed rage, and the seething anger that the middle-class, alienated drone of the 2000s has against the system is not something he can relate to.

Fight Club is a zeitgeist film, as Edward Norton has said. It's a film that speaks to a generation of young men who have been:

1. Raised by single mothers (Tyler: "We're a generation of men raised by women. I'm wondering if another woman is really the answer.")
2. Provided no coming of age rituals
3. Betrayed by the system
4. Given no way of proving its masculinity in a physical way.
5. Force-fed liberal guilt trash and tripe for its entire life.
6. Force-fed the idea that consumerist materialism is the end-all, be-all of life.

Fight Club is a complete rejection of the modern Western ethos. It is the greatest, and most subversive, film made in the US in recent history.

It communicates to the young generation the following doctrines, each of which flies in the face of the liberal, pussified shit that we are force-fed every day in the US:

1. Self-realization can come through the cathartic experience of violence.
2. A man must prove himself by bonding with a tribe or group.
3. Men need--and must have--initiation rituals.
4. Men must live by a code.
5. Men must have a leader.
6. A woman cannot complete a man.

Now, you can agree or disagree with these ideas. You can like them or not like them. It does not matter. But the movie does communicate a definite set of ideas. And for Patrice to fail to notice this makes me think that (1) either the movie scares him, or (2) he can't wrap his mind around it.

I think he just doesn't get it. Or doesn't want to get it. Because this is the thing: this movie really disturbs some people. They can't deal with it. Revealed on the screen, for all the world to see, is a bit of reality. It hammers home the point that those apparently quiet, unassuming young guys out there--whom everyone denigrates and abuses--carry with them the potential for revolutionary change. And this message terrifies the liberal establishment.

This movie flew under the radar and was lucky even to be made. It was a labor of love for David Fincher, Brad Pitt, and Edward Norton. And it remains the single best expression of the modern Western male consciousness since the 1990s. Ignore it at your own peril.

Messages In This Thread