rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Chris Cornell dead at 52

Chris Cornell dead at 52

Quote: (05-18-2017 05:58 PM)Chowder Head Wrote:  

Quote: (05-18-2017 05:38 PM)Vaun Wrote:  

Quote: (05-18-2017 12:40 PM)stugatz Wrote:  

Quote: (05-18-2017 12:38 PM)Chowder Head Wrote:  

I never considered Weiland and STP grunge.

Is this common? It seems like people either mention STP or ignore them. I know they were based out of California, but I didn't know a band had to be from Seattle to be grunge.

They were not liked or respected at all at the time other than redneck girls with poof haircuts, or respected by anyone big at the time in the grunge/alternative community. You could say STP was the first Nickelback. People openly made fun of STP and wouldn't tour with them, because they were "corporate rock", and looked more like hair metal band than a grunge or alternative band in during the time. Pavement wrote a song about how much they hated STP, and its a great song. I still have this same view about them but the hate got less and less, I liked a few of their later songs. STP's guitar player was really good. Weiland was a good rock singer, but not grunge/alternative/punk in any way.

WHAT?!? STP was the first Nickleback! I don't remember that. I thought the problem with STP was Weiland was nuts. He was hard to work with. They were more like a hair band -- I remember Weiland in dresses--he was over the top. I don't remember the hate. Creed and Nickleback got a lot of hate but that was much later.

They definitely got a ton of hate in the music community during their first and second album. It died down when they became superstars and MTV wouldn't stop playing the Plush and Interstate Love Song videos, which is a good song. A lot of the stars of the time were openly mocking them, Pavement, Billy Corgan, Trent, the Seattle guys, indie rock, etc, basically the whole alternative music community. At the time the concept of "selling out" was big. Artists had integrity, and didnt want to sell out for the money. That is completely gone these days. To the music scene they appeared to be a record company fabrication, not a real band with any real history or street cred that worked their way up, just a bunch of old hair metal guys that decided to put on dresses to cash in on alternative. Now I am starting to hate them again. To some degree you could say the same thing about Pearl Jam, who also got massive hate too. But yeah I would put them in the Nickelback camp for how uncool and made fun of they were when they came out.

Messages In This Thread