rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Pitching Nomadic Lifestyle to Employer

Pitching Nomadic Lifestyle to Employer

I am currently weighing an option to go semi-nomadic (maintaining a residence in the United States and traveling frequently) against living abroad full-time.

Since I have location-independent W2 employment in the United States and our team is international, saying "I will be working from abroad for a while" is not a problem. I am, however, concerned about how they'll react to hearing "I will have no permanent residence".

My list of destinations are fairly mainstream, so I'm not worried about getting the evil eye for spending months in Bangkok. I simply don't want to appear undependable. There's also probably no way I can do this quietly, since they'll be involved in the tax fallout and I'll be connecting to the network from abroad.

An earlier thread from user poledaddy, in a very similar situation, prompted user presidentcarter to comment:

Quote:Quote:

"I think if you show your cards and hint that you want to live abroad, it'll do a lot of damage. They'll see it as you having one foot out the door. Take it from me, when employers hear about your plans to move out of the country, not just a vacation, they will start to question your commitment, future availability, and overall sanity."

thread-42643.html

Can anyone speak to this from experience? I am so used to both working remotely and traveling abroad that it doesn't feel extreme to me, but I can understand why going fully nomadic may appear outlandish to people with more conventional situations.

Hidey-ho, RVFerinos!

Messages In This Thread