rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Jordan Peterson thread

The Jordan Peterson thread

Social Justice/Freedom of Speech: Bill C16 Debate Queen's Law School

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAQlleqDgbI

This was well worthwhile. Jordan discussed the pronoun / identity situation with mastery. Some quotes:

“I refuse to cede linguistic territory to the people with whom I disagree. Once you cede linguistic ground to your adversaries you have decided that you are going to play a game within the rules that they have established. And therefore you lose.

Louis C.K. said ‘If you call someone an asshole, they can’t actually object, because it’s not up to them.’ It’s up to someone else to determine if that’s the case, because that identity classification is actually a socially negotiated process.

And that’s the thing about your identity. The idea that your identity is a subjective construct, and I’m being literally truthful about that, that’s what two-year-olds think.

Your identity is like your reputation. You think you get to have the reputation you want? Well, good luck with that one! We’re so good at tracking reputation we have an evolved module for remembering reputation. You cheat once, I’ll never forget it. And you don’t get to object to that. I mean, you can, but that isn’t going to change the outcome. And it doesn’t change the fact that your reputation, which is certainly a major part of your identity, is something that is dependent on the interactions that you have with other people. To revert to the notion that it’s a purely subjective construct – I just can’t believe we are seriously considering it, let alone writing it into law.”

Messages In This Thread