rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why are large tech companies not regulated?

Why are large tech companies not regulated?

Quote: (02-23-2017 09:50 PM)Repo Wrote:  

@All or Nothing

You want to allow people to file a lawsuit over getting banned off Twitter? I can't imagine how that could go wrong. .

You make a good point. The lawyers would have a heyday if such laws were created.

But you have to understand that I am trying to lay out a conceptual framework for:

- Why these companies need to be regulated.
- How regulation would moderate the political behavior of these companies.

That does not mean that I want everything I say to be taken literally or as some final idea, rather my goal here is to lay out an initial set of ideas that once properly marinated can evolve into some kind of effective political action.

Quote: (02-23-2017 10:00 PM)TooFineAPoint Wrote:  

Imagine some of the negative consequences of that scenario, but this time for a company you value, who you think is doing decent work. And imagine the regulatory body being staffed by lifelong (near un-fireable) bureaucrats and/or plants, who would seek out "victims" of said company to use as legal missiles against them.

You see the government as a curb on freedom while I see the corporations as a curb on freedom.

You see the increase in power of the government as a move towards autocracy while I see the increase in power of technology companies as a move towards technocracy.

One thing we have to ask ourselves though is which view is more libertarian as a whole.

The power of technology companies to suppress speech is the antithesis of libertarian ideology, it is the antithesis of individual freedom. These companies are infringing on our civil liberties for freedom of thought and expression.

So you have to ask yourself, which view is more libertarian? Regulating companies to maximize freedom of speech for the collective society or to allow technology companies the maximum amount of freedom to suppress political speech?

Messages In This Thread