rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Lake Oroville (California) dam on the verge of failing, 160k evacuated

Lake Oroville (California) dam on the verge of failing, 160k evacuated

Quote: (02-13-2017 01:45 AM)911 Wrote:  

Great rundown on the situation here:

https://www.metabunk.org/oroville-dam-sp...ure.t8381/

Thanks, good stuff. Amazing to see the erosion taking place in less than a week along that destroyed spillway. Only the bedrock remains on the side, the rest of it washed away. I also found the pictures of the river near Sacramento being nearly as high as the bridge interesting, maybe more disconcerting than interesting honestly. It's way up there and the emergency spillway hasn't even failed yet. Oh and the damage they had on the spillway in 2013 was noteworthy as well as the chief engineer said everything looked good after they attended to it. Wonder if they were negligent then and it's coming back to bite them in the ass.

Definitely appears the dam itself will probably be fine, but I wonder if the damage done on the spillways will make that a moot point? I mean that main spillway is fucked, and the non bedrock is just being eaten away like crazy. If that emergency spillway fails then how much water is going to be gushing over the hillside there? Will it matter if the dam fails at that point? I think they were saying they were going to move some rocks into the weakened spillway which sounds...desperate? Is that realy going to do anything if it's not embedded natural bedrock? That river in Sacramento is already nipping at the bottom of that bridge too, looks pretty scary to me. Going to be a major ordeal to house the 160k or so people stranded as well. What a mess.

Messages In This Thread