rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Metal Gear Solid 2: A game ahead of its time?

Metal Gear Solid 2: A game ahead of its time?

I think the game was released before 2004 but was way ahead of its time.

I remember reading this article in 2002 when I tried to understand the game, I didn't like it at first.

http://archives.insertcredit.com/features/dreaming2/
Read all parts and keep in mind the game was released before facebook. This article focuses first on the post-modern elements of the game, the game is kind of whacky in a sense and received a lot of criticism but after reading it it made me appreciate it for what it was.

Then the 3rd game was released and a lot more people got to appreciate MGS2.

And most recently this article, gets back to a lot of the key elements of the story of the game who are accurate in today's world.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-0...video-game

I'm really surprised at how this post-modern game meshes well with the red-pillway of thinking. Actually thinking about it most of the recent culture war stuff and red-pill thinking was already in my mind way before, experienced in this game.

Metal Gear was a weapon designed to launch nuclear missiles in the first game from anywhere on the planet, it was a mech equipped with a rail gun hidden on Shadow Moses Island. The game had simple gameplay, the goal of the game was clear yet the dialogues and the plot was extremely well executed and made you question who exactly were the bad guys and why you were performing your duty as a soldier. The game went ahead and criticized nuclear weapons and genetic engineering.

Notably, with the fake news stories that we are seeing today and how there is a need to control information for governements with so much data released today, the Metal Gear of the second game was a giant server hidden under an oil offshore station (Big hell) capable of processing any information on the planet in order for the Patriots to keep control of what is going on and releasing the news, the science discoveries and the propaganda they want.
The main character is also different from the first game, Raiden is supposed to represent the player, you are not Snake anymore, you are a nobody and you experience MGS2 as a character with no backstory. Raiden represents the player. The Big Shell mirrors Shadow Moses because that's what it was designed to do - the Patriots, who control the AI system, made the sequel the fans wanted. The impression it leaves on the gamer is unforgettable, but I will always remember this quote from the game:

"In the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander...All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution."

MGS2 is a game that makes you question everything.

Anyone else played this great game and feel with the current state of the world it was way ahead of its time and has to be considered a masterpiece?

Messages In This Thread