rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

My Fitness Journey: Success -> Lack of Progress

My Fitness Journey: Success -> Lack of Progress

Hi all. I just made my intro post in the newbie forum - in it I said I want to keep my "help me" threads to a minimum and this is it for now. I figure improving my physique is essential for many reasons, and women is actually fairly low on the list.

Background:
I didn't eat much at all for most of my life. I was 120 lb (5'7) for most of my adult life. Once I started to live a healthier lifestyle I was able to eat a normal diet but overcompensated and became 170 lb with 20% BF.

Fitness Success:
I read that someone with my composition should cut before trying to bulk. I crushed it. Got down to 10%, abs showing etc. I was proud of what I had achieved, but it turns out that it wasn't really a good look for me without having much muscle under the fat and very skinny limbs (i.e. 14" arms).

Fitness Lack of Success:
It turns out cutting is pretty easy but I was bewildered by all of the information about bulking so I started working out with a trainer 6 months ago. I've busted my ass in the gym which is a shitty place for someone like me to be. I've stuck with it very hard but the results have simply not been there. First he had me eating 3,000-3,500 calories. Oh I gained weight alright, but basically just replaced the belly fat I'd spent months burning. Supposedly I gained some LBM but it's not visible anywhere or showing up in my measurements. He then cut me back to 2,500-3,000 cal so I'm still gaining weight but just more slowly.

I was concentrating on high set-low rep, (typically 5X5) and mostly compound exercises, but I tweaked my back deadlifting (bummer because I enjoyed it and considered getting to 125% body weight a nice accomplishment) so I've had to modify it a bit.

I have no intention of giving up, but 0 progress at all after 6 months of hard work is discouraging, especially since I was actually gaining mass (as opposed to being a hard gainer). It had been my understanding that the formula for building muscle was lifting to induce microtears, followed by filling them up with lots of protein (current intake ~ 2.5g/kg) and a caloric surplus. I'm definitely sore after I work out so I think I'm doing what should be right but I'm having no success.

What am I doing wrong? Am I not squeezing out the last rep or two hard enough? Is 6 months just not enough time to see improvement? Is something off with my macros? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Messages In This Thread