rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Meryl Street makes brave/heroic speech attacking Trump, Hollywood cheers

Meryl Street makes brave/heroic speech attacking Trump, Hollywood cheers

Quote: (01-10-2017 10:51 PM)Rocha Wrote:  

Quote: (01-10-2017 10:00 PM)Mr. D Wrote:  

So ridiculous it just might become real...

http://yournewswire.com/hollywood-strike-trump-resign/

Quote:Quote:

Celebrities Call For ‘Total Hollywood Strike’ Until Trump Resigns

A group of liberal Hollywood celebrities are threatening a “massive, all-round Hollywood strike” unless Donald Trump resigns. Describing Hollywood as “the base of the entire modern American culture“, the group also claims to be speaking on behalf of “all of humanity.”

It’s about time people understood that we’re the ones with the power and that the president is there to serve us, not the other way around“, a spokesperson for the group told The New York Times.

“We’re calling for a general strike that would include every single person involved in making motion pictures in Hollywood, starting with the actors and celebrities themselves and encompassing companies in charge of making props, movie memorabilia and even souvenir shops.”

Spinzon reports: Rosie O’Donnell, Debra Messing, Ed Asner and Michael Shannon are among the dozens of artists, entertainers, and activists who have attached their names to an effort calling for a month-long protest to stop President-elect Donald Trump.

“No! In the Name of Humanity We Refuse to Accept a Fascist America!” reads a full-page ad placed in the New York Times on Wednesday by the group Refuse Racism. “Donald Trump, the President-elect, is assembling a regime of grave danger,” the ad says.

“Millions of people in the US and around the world are filled with deep anxiety, fear and disgust. Our anguish is right and just. Our anger must now become massive resistance – before Donald Trump is inaugurated and has the full reins of power in his hands.”

Other Hollywood celebrities who have also joined the campaign, however, are calling for an all-out strike that would span the entire movie industry in the hopes that such a move would urge the President-elect to resign from his position as the newly elected President of the United States.

“We’re calling for a general strike that would include every single person involved in making motion pictures in Hollywood, starting with the actors and celebrities themselves and encompassing companies in charge of making props, movie memorabilia and even souvenir shops,” a spokesperson for the Refuse Racism group told The New York Times. “It’s about time people understood that we’re the ones with the power and that the president is there to serve us, not the other way around.”

Asked to elaborate on why the group is targeting Hollywood out of all the industries in the country as their bargaining chip, the spokesperson argued that Hollywood “is, simply put, the base of the entire modern American culture. It is the foundation of the country, so to speak, the glue that’s holding it together. And think about what happens when you destroy the foundation of a house. It comes crashing down, right? Well, that’s exactly what’s going to happen to America unless Donald Trump realizes how real the danger of that actually is, and chooses to step down as President of his own free will. And while we’re on the subject, between you and me – nobody wants Hollywood to stop doing its thing, but this is a necessary move.”

“Besides, it’s not like the billionaire-businessman-turned-president hasn’t ventured into movies in his day, right? So, he’ll understand firsthand what’s going to happen if Hollywood goes to strike. Without the work of Hollywood and the lifestyle promoted by it, there will literally be no more America to rule for Trump. So, in effect, it’s not us that are going to force Donald Trump to resign his office; it’s the people of America who are going to make him do it, because the God’s honest truth is – without Hollywood, there is no America. It’s like trying to run Nazi Germany without Hitler at the forefront – it just becomes pointless,” the spokesperson concluded.

This is too good to be true. I hope they strike, hard and forever. Its been a couple of years since I last watched a contemporary Hollywood flick, and possibly I can count by the fingers of one hand, the total I have seen in the last 5 years..

Sadly, you're probably right at least so far as Hollywood is concerned.

New York Times doesn't make any references to this strike by Hollywood. When you Google "Refuse Racism organisation" it doesn't turn up any results at all.

Indeed I'd thought that last, hilarious line, that supposedly without Hollywood there is no America, that it's like running Nazi Germany without Hitler, was the punchline to an epic troll by 4chan. Amazingly, though, it probably isn't, given what I found after a little clicking around.

Refuse Fascism is where the ad comes from, not Refuse Racism. The ad that apparently appeared in the 4 January 2017 edition of the NYT is on that site. The site itself is the usual leftie firehose of tears and insanity, but particularly laughable is that they keep calling for a "month of action" whose starting date keeps shifting around. Originally the month of action started on 19 December, i.e. the day the Electoral College voted; now the month of action, according to that flier, starts on 14 January. Browsing around there you get a growing sense of desperation by the college kids and community organisers who set the site up as one event after another goes pretty much untouched. You also get the usual demands for people to do shit without being paid for it.

The list of signatories to this thing is hilarious: everyone from former Black Panthers and the founder of the American Communist Party are in this one, along with Debra Messing, Ed Asner and a cast of other E-list people I wouldn't really call celebrities.

The only art-ish strike that's being weakly put together is the "Art Strike", a supposed "show of force" by 130 (130, count 'em, out of 200 million Americans) people to ask museums, galleries, concert halls, art schools and nonprofit institutions to close on inauguration day. Unfortunately, the Met has said it'll be open for business as usual, and this shit is going nowhere as well.

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm

Messages In This Thread