rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Night owls how do you force yourself to keep waking up early?

Night owls how do you force yourself to keep waking up early?

The main thing I do when I want to fix my sleep schedule is take my melatonin supplement about half an hour to an hour before I want to get to sleep and then let it work it's magic. Do this for a few nights and your natural sleep cycle should be readjusted; that's basically what it does, it has your body produce melatonin at the time you took it. It works quite well on me with the lower 3mg dose, there is a 5mg if you need it. Don't take it long term or you'll become dependent, it's just a temporary thing to fix your natural cycle.

Also helps if you're not frying your eyes with electronic screens during the process. Which is why I recommend that F.lux app for your computer; really more of a necessity for a healthy sleep schedule though. I don't see how anyone fries their brains with that harsh white light at night and sleeps normally. I deem the f.lux app essential for healthy sleep schedule management. If you have an iphone there is a setting similar to f.lux that gives soft light at set hours too. Never tried a light box but that could help with getting up.

Getting up is a more difficult problem to fix. It helps if you have something pressing that you absolutely have to get up for. Don't know how your work is but you could possibly arrange so that there is work to be done at a time that makes you get up right away or you'll be behind or something. Otherwise it's way too easy to just turn the alarm off and go back to sleep. Getting up at the same time every day has been moderately helpful for me. 5am seems a bit early to be getting up, I'd really recommend going to sleep when it's dark and rising when it's daylight, at least for a while, much more natural in my opinion. Getting to sleep at a reasonable time and being well rested so that sleeping late isn't comfortable tend to work for me. But, like you, after a few days my routine breaks down and I become a night owl again.

I've never been able to get to sleep at a consistent time, working a job that never gave me stable hours didn't help; even when I had to get up at 4, 5, or 6 am it was really hard to get to bed early. Try going to bed at the same time and waking up at the same time combined with melatonin and a reduction in harsh electronic light the closer to bedtime you get. You've got to let your brain wind down from all that stimulation and to help create a habit of not being immersed in hyper stimulation right up until bed, because then you'll say "fuck it I'm bored I'll just stay up another few hours" and boom it's back to square one. Be careful with books too; I thought they'd be good to substitute before bed and I ended up reading them all night.

Messages In This Thread