rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Sales People That Started Their Own Business

Sales People That Started Their Own Business

I started off selling shoes and ipods at 15. I sell internet software for direct response information marketers.
In high technology, the biggest paradox is that the best technology may not sell. But the buyers want the best at the right price.
But in the same breath, the real breakthroughs in the 80s-90s that accumulated 80% of that profits were sales oriented companies Microsoft and Oracle come to mind.

It depends on where you are on the high tech totem pole are and where your ambitions are. I will include a good e-book below after this:
There are plenty of sales centered cyber tech companies. No real breakthroughs just big and relatively competent sales force.

Ideas are very overrated. Find things that are already selling and improve exponentially on that. ex) Tesla has four wheels like any car. It's the first electric car. But it's business model is radically different from competitors.

Know your market infrastructure inside and out. Know the CEOs and marketers by name in your industry.

Goto Trade shows

Get smart, smarter than anyone who is in your industry!

I am a Product AND Sales guy. Being the market leader is the supreme ideal. So creating a breakthrough and being able to capture the profits through a solid distribution strategy is essential. Most technologists make a huge mistake with this. They don't know how to create a profitable business model.
On the other hand there are tons of SaaS businesses out there with no real differentiation and that's where commoditization and competition comes in.
Long story short. Welcome to to Discount City. and there goes your commissions.

My experience has been:
I learned how to code! I bought every book on the subject and locked myself in my room and learning everything there is about technology.
I already know how to sell. So, hitting two birds with one stone. This is KEY: When managing and hiring programmers it is very hard for a sales guy to tell if an engineer is any good
I know how to code and sell. So employees can't bullshit me. Above all, the respect me. They can't sink my company with technical debt and fuck ups. Yet, work harder because I'm working hard
Delegation is good but if you are not leading from the front. Your troops will bail. Morale is everything in business.

Contrary to common belief all the big guys are technologists that learned how to sell. Not the other way around.

There's a book(I mentioned above) you may enjoy: 10 Pillars of Wealth by Alex Becker
I don't agree with him being so sales centered and being in the tech space. But, it seems to work with what he wants.
He hangs out with Tai Lopez if you're into that. I'm not, but his info is really good for beginners...

In summary. Work for a market leader with a reputable product or Start by becoming a market leader with a stellar product.
Everyone else silently suffers... Buyers as with women want to be with the Champ.

PS: Get started as soon as you can. Don't Waste Your Youth.
PPS: Always pay for dinner as a vendor. Relationships are the backbone of a company.

Required Reading:
REWORK by Jason Fried
Purple Cow by Seth Godin
All Marketers are Liars by Seth Godin
How to Get Rich by Felix Dennis (founder of Maxim)
... If you're a big dog--> High Technology Marketing by William Davidow

Messages In This Thread