rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Residential Gun Safe Datasheet

Residential Gun Safe Datasheet

Quote: (12-15-2016 06:50 PM)Adonis Wrote:  

Quote: (12-15-2016 12:11 PM)billbudsocket Wrote:  

Most of the safes you guys are discussing can be zipped open in less than a minute with a metal cutting circular saw. I would't bother with anything less than a TL-15 or TL-30 as a serious safe unless your goal is just to have a fire resistant box or thwart a smash and grab burglary.

I don't disagree with your first point, as nearly all residential gun "safes" are merely Residential Security Containers (RSC) as listed by UL to withstand a basic attack (hammer & screwdriver aka smash and grab) for 5 min. Your second point falls a little flat since this is a game forum and not a machine gun or Rolex forum. A TL-15 or TL-30 in a size that can hold long guns fully assembled is not something you can go down to the big box store and move with a couple friends and an appliance dolly. ...

Just to clear up a point or two. The RSC rating specifies "vigorous" attempts at entry, including prying, drilling, punching and tampering. And that is done by guys who know how to get into safes. It is not done by average Joes with a hammer.

Leonard D Neubache posted a video of some guys prying open a safe. THE #1 thing to notice here is that the safe is on its back. In this position the prying force is GREATLY multiplied.

As Leonard (and I) mentioned you can increase the security of even a modest safe, through PROPER installation. Making sure that your safe cannot be moved it a giant step in the right direction.

Side note - One client suggested placing his safe on some super armored "lazy susan" mount to make pretty much any attempt at forcing/cutting very difficult. Interesting concept, but the implementation would be pretty challenging. I've filed it under TO DO.

billbudsocket mentions (as did I) that many safes can be opened with a grinder/saw and the appropriate wheel/blade. The fact is that 99% of burglars will not have such tools with them. They will have common handtools (if that), and any tools that they can utilize from your garage. My large pry bars and like tools are kept in my safe. (REALLY - Get the largest safe you can. Trust me on this one point.)

Messages In This Thread