rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting real about forearm training

Getting real about forearm training

Quote: (11-20-2016 08:14 AM)redbeard Wrote:  

This is definitely a post for the Lifter's Lounge, especially since you didn't pose a specific question, but I'll bite.

"Forearm training" for size can be accomplished with only wrist curls, hammer curls, etc. Bodybuilders have gotten by for years using this plan. However, to be truly successful, a well-rounded grip training routine should be implemented. Grip training is more complex than you'd think due to the anatomy of the hand. There are more than 30 individual muscles in the hand, so training is different vs. a standard ball and socket joint that only moves in two directions.

Beginner's should start with David Horne's Beginner Routine. These 4 exercises should take no more than 20 minutes yet still manage to hit all of the hand muscles in a highly effective way. 3x a week for 3-4 months, when gains plateau. Weights will go up very rapidly as your hands react to new training. When I got serious about grip training I was only lifting 3x a week, so I did the routine after lifting. This allowed me to minimize gym time and maximize recovery, but you can program it how you like IF you listen to your hands and don't pound them too hard.

Next step is to identify your weak points and determine a grip training goal. I do not suggest diving into grippers 3x a week because it's so easy to overtrain or injure yourself. A more diverse approach should be implemented to hit all the grip muscles.

To expand your grip toolbox, read Ross Enamit's Untapped Strength. The book covers every grip exercise out there in detail, but leaves programming up to the reader. This is where you have to get involved and experiment. As an example, lately I do one grip exercise everyday. Sometimes it's a an isolation exercise (like plate pinches, finger curls, etc.), other times it's built into my training as a "win-win." DOH deadlifts, farmer's walks, reverse curls count. Sledgehammer training doubles as HIIT. Last night, I was short for time and did a bunch of OHP, so I finished with dead hangs for shoulder health and grip strength. Win-win.

I second this.

Also, here's a good routine for wrist mobility/warming up your wrists:

Vidi, Vici, Veni.

Messages In This Thread