rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Weightlifting: Starting Strength

Weightlifting: Starting Strength

Quote: (08-11-2011 09:00 PM)AJ Wrote:  

Quote: (08-11-2011 05:24 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

Gaining weight is like fucking bitches. In order to succeed, you have to stop being a pussy. Hell, half the advice on this forum boils down to "stop being a pussy." For our purposes, that means eating lots and lots of calories: several whole eggs, whole milk if you can stomach it, several strips of bacon, cream, butter, cheese, fish and fatty meats. Forget fucking around with overpriced undersized protein bars. If you really have trouble, make shakes with a cup of heavy whipping cream, that's 800 calories right there. The skinnier you are, the more sugary carbs you can handle without getting fat.

If you're not gaining weight, you're not trying. You'd rather bitch about being skinny than take decisive action. Show me a hardgainer and I'll show you a guy who's putting down a piddling 3000 calories a day.

I don't always eat enough to gain. And I'm not huge by any means. But I don't delude myself that I'm a "hardgainer."
Is what you suggested the best way to go about gaining way in the shortest period of time. Absolutely. I went down a similar route for a couple of months packing hard boiled eggs as snacks, eating only chicken breasts for lunch/dinner and gained a decent amount of weight. But no lies.. it sucked.

That's the exact opposite of what I recommended. You, like many others, focus on protein to the exclusion of everything else. When you eat sizable portions of whole foods, principally animal products, you will never have to worry about protein consumption.

Someone already said it for me:

From 70's Big (like the other quote),

Quote:Quote:

Listen Skinny Guy, you aren’t trying. You sit down at night and wonder why you aren’t getting stronger as you pick at chicken breast and broccoli. You might even be the guy eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast…like a child.

It’s time to man up Skinny Guy. I don’t like skinny guys, much less you, Skinny Guy. You either think you ought to be skinny like all of the psuedo-manly guys on TV and in movies or you like to be skinny. If you didn’t like being skinny, you’d do something about it. You would take your skinny jeans and skull cap off (you probably wear the skull cap in summer time too), and you would engage in activity that would require you to not be skinny.

Some of you Skinny Guys have actually decided to do something about it, but you haven’t gotten past this phase of BITCHING about everything that goes on. If your name is Skinny Guy and you don’t gain five pounds in the first week of training, then you aren’t trying. Guys in our gym gain 15 pounds in two or three weeks. I have heard some of you rejoice in the fact that you gain five pounds in a month. That disgusts me, Skinny Guy. I know you’ve been skinny your whole life, but get over the fear of gaining some kind of bodyfat. Your name is Skinny Guy for chrissakes! As we have said before, if you have been skinny your whole life, you don’t get to have an opinion on being fat.

Things that are worth doing are typically not easy, but some of you give up and think that you have a special scenario that requires some kind of unique advice that is not A) eat more food, B) squat, press, and deadlift, and C) stop your whiny bitching.

For some reason I have been in a foul mood, and I think it is Skinny Guy’s fault. My patience is wearing thin. If you think you have a form issue with any of your lifts, then pick up Starting Strength and figure out what that might be. There are plenty of videos on Rip’s Q&A Board. Find a coach if you can. Assuming you have done these things, you should know what you are doing wrong and may be able to cue it yourself. If you think your form is “pretty good” and your name is Skinny Guy, then you aren’t eating enough.

From now on, you guys are only allowed to ask for programming advice if you meet the following weight requirements:

If I didn't have a date soon I'd be preparing a big egg, bacon potato and cheese omelette right now [Image: tongue.gif] .

Messages In This Thread