rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Weightlifting: Starting Strength

Weightlifting: Starting Strength

Quote: (08-11-2011 05:24 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

Gaining weight is like fucking bitches. In order to succeed, you have to stop being a pussy. Hell, half the advice on this forum boils down to "stop being a pussy." For our purposes, that means eating lots and lots of calories: several whole eggs, whole milk if you can stomach it, several strips of bacon, cream, butter, cheese, fish and fatty meats. Forget fucking around with overpriced undersized protein bars. If you really have trouble, make shakes with a cup of heavy whipping cream, that's 800 calories right there. The skinnier you are, the more sugary carbs you can handle without getting fat.

If you're not gaining weight, you're not trying. You'd rather bitch about being skinny than take decisive action. Show me a hardgainer and I'll show you a guy who's putting down a piddling 3000 calories a day.

I don't always eat enough to gain. And I'm not huge by any means. But I don't delude myself that I'm a "hardgainer."

Easy tiger...

It all depends what the lifter wants. There are many ways to go about this.

Is what you suggested the best way to go about gaining way in the shortest period of time. Absolutely. I went down a similar route for a couple of months packing hard boiled eggs as snacks, eating only chicken breasts for lunch/dinner and gained a decent amount of weight. But no lies.. it sucked.

Now can you gain that same weight on a longer time horizon with less effort focused on eating. Sure. For those that are pressed for time/have a longer time horizon to gain weight/not taking this terribly seriously/and are a bit lazy on eating eating - high protein foods in bursts isn't too bad. Breakfast (cereal + egg whites) 40g, Lunch 50g Dinner 50, Bar 20, Shake 35 gives you close to 200g with minimal effort. I've been consistently putting on lean muscle with it and so it's fine by me. You'll just have to adjust it to how your body responds.

The protein bars are overpriced but I've tried cans of tuna and other stuff and this is the path of least resistance in terms of time and not hating tuna. $1/bar for something that tastes decent isn't terribly bad.

Eating like a monster might get there faster but I think both ways will get to the same spot eventually. Is that being a pussy? I have no idea.

As for the existence of hard-gainers, I haven't seen any evidence for or against it so I can't comment.

Messages In This Thread