rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Weightlifting: Starting Strength

Weightlifting: Starting Strength

Quote: (06-02-2014 04:52 PM)Wreckingball Wrote:  

That's the problem, I can lift the bar, but not hold it.

So far, I've been doing some hanging, more chinups and just hold the bar (total65kg) for 10s. I'm feeling the power of the calluses even more!

Make sure you are actually gripping the bar correctly, most people do it wrong. If your skin/callouses are pinched against the bar, your grip strength will grow at a slower pace.

You may need to drop the weight after modifying the grip and work your way back up.

Next, make sure that you don't bounce the deadlift. Start every rep from a dead stop, reset the grip if necessary. This ensures that your are lifting the full weight every single rep, minimizing premature weaknesses.

I also recommend swapping out barbell rows with power cleans for a couple of weeks. At the beginner level, it is by far the best exercise for rapidly improving grip strength. Just work your way up to a 60kg power clean for 5 set of 3 and you shouldn't have grip problems for a while.

Messages In This Thread