rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Mathematics Thread

The Mathematics Thread

If you're into mathematical logic and looking for some entertainment I would suggest reading the graphic novel 'LogiComix'

https://www.logicomix.com/en/index.html

The story features Bertrand Russell as the main character and follows his journey to base logic on mathematics which would make logic as sure in it's knowledge as math is in it's knowledge. This would therefore give humanity a tool a way discover absolute truth. Among the way other figures who were important to the development of mathematical logic in the 20th century such as Gottlob Frege (founder of set theory), Kurt Godel (discover of the incompleteness theorem), and David Hilbert are encountered. The co-author of the comic is a theoretical computer science professor and he's also featured as a character in the book in parts to explain the more technical details.

I can honestly say this book was a huge motivator in my decision to head back to school to earn a degree in computer science. I had to take a discrete mathematics course as part of the program and the textbook my class used would in the footnotes often feature brief biographies of some of the people discussed in the comic which gave me a sense of the importance of the work they did.

Messages In This Thread