rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The #AltTech Disconvergence Thread

The #AltTech Disconvergence Thread

Quote: (10-10-2016 03:32 PM)Phoenix Wrote:  

I think there needs to be two components to this:
- Having multiple alternative platforms
- Interlinking them

The hyperlink just isn't enough. Long gone are the days of people using web-directories, or web-directory-like search engines. Now it's all centralized on the google smart search. Even when I search something on this website, I go back to google to do so because it's just faster.

So I think there needs to be better in-website search for all websites. (E.g. on this website, you could put a smart-search bar in the toolbar). But beyond that, in-website search should branch out to "friend websites".

As a bad example, the host blocked NNF from hyperlinking here, as the host of this website gets shit-talked by users on NNF as it's mostly comprised of banned RVF members. This prevents these almost identically themed websites from interacting. They are standalone blobs, both reliant on google to be the hub that directs new traffic to them.

There should be extensive spidering-out between websites. It's the web after all, not the hub-and-spoke. It should be possible, if you wish, to stay completely within the manosphere without ever bouncing back to googles search bar.

As a simple example, an in-website search algorithm in RVF would give priority to RVF content, but whenever for example Goodllookingloser's forum had a better result, it would return that in the results. Websites could dial in their search weighting of other websites based on the friendliness. I.e. goodlookingloser's would be at 100%, stormfront & jezebel might be at 0%, NNF might be at 20%.

Google's monopoly on search is a huge problem. Similar to how Wikipedia biases you towards a particular worldview, so does Google (and is proven by evidence of them biasing results).

One immediate solution to this is using SearX. It's a metasearch engine, so it can compile 70+ different search engines results into one search.

I like the idea, we're already halfway there. We already have YaCY but it's a memory and RAM hog. For ZeroNet sites there's a few search engines also. All that would be missing is a WordPress plugin for add it the search bar and work on improving the relevance algorithms.

Quote:Quote:

I feel there should also be a way to interlink your identity between different websites in a decentralized manner. I.e. using the same private key, you authenticate as the same user for different avatars across different sites using software residing on your computer alone.

See OpenID for a hosted solution, closest thing to what you've suggested. Requires each site integrating OpenID however.

Keybase.io is also a way to prove that you own a specific account on each site and it's all linked to one identity.

Personally I prefer managing many accounts separately because linking together can make it more catastrophic if it were hacked and it also leads to a bigger metadata trail, but each to their own.

Quote:Quote:

I think there's lots of room in this. Not sure how it would be monetized though. All the decentralizing stuff seems let monetizable than centralizing stuff (Google being a case in point).

It actually makes monetising easier in many cases because you can allow micropayments using cryptocurrency e.g. the Decentralised Library of Alexandria (iTunes/YouTube alternative) allows easier payments for creative types and Yours (Reddit alternative) allows payments for content creators.

Messages In This Thread