rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Interested to hear RVF's views on regional/minority languages

Interested to hear RVF's views on regional/minority languages

I've become more and more interested recently in historic, but now minority languages. I met a guy who spoke both Castellano and Catalan, and he was telling me that Catalan is one of the very few minority languages which is currently thriving.

Even in the birthplace of the world's lingua franca, we have a rich history of ancient languages. However Cornish and Manx (Isle of Man) have no more native speakers, only a few thousand for each who have learnt the language from scratch. Welsh is still pretty widespread in its use, especially in the rural areas and efforts are in place to keep it being spoken. Gaelic Irish is spoken by just over a million people, but Scots Gaelic is just 60,000 or so.

Football or Rugby fans should know this one:

The line that really stands out to me is 'o bydded i'r hen iaith barhau' which means 'oh may the old language endure'.

I think it's really important to keep regional/minority languages all around the world, but obviously it's also better if everyone also speaks a major language such as English, Spanish, Chinese, French, etc.

What are your thoughts on it?

Messages In This Thread