rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Understanding the world of Kickboxing and Muay Thai

Understanding the world of Kickboxing and Muay Thai

I've been training in the various MMA disciplines for years now but to be honest, I don't quite understand the world of Kickboxing, and more specifically, Muay Thai. With MMA, it's pretty easy to follow since it's the UFC as both promotion and sanctioning body and it's the clear cut #1 MMA organization. The Glory kickboxing promotion has brought some clarity to that sport, at least to my American eyes, but some things still remain unclear. So I wanted to ask a few questions about both the kickboxing and Muay Thai worlds to better my understanding:

Kickboxing:

- What are the major promotions and major sanctioning bodies?
- Who are the most well known names historically and today?
- Are kickboxers typically contracted to one promotion or are they allowed to fight in other promotions?

Muay Thai:
Same questions as kickboxing plus:
- How does the "stadium champion" thing work? Is the stadium itself a promotion or is it merely a venue for promotions to use?
- What's the sanctioning body for the stadium fights?
- What's with the names of Thai fighters? I understand that it's related to the gym they train at but is there anything more to it?
- What's a good way to watch Muay Thai matches live?

Thanks

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

Messages In This Thread