rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

No Mercy: Manila Maniacs Mass Murdered

No Mercy: Manila Maniacs Mass Murdered

Quote: (09-07-2016 09:40 PM)El Chinito loco Wrote:  

Quote: (09-06-2016 10:58 PM)Onto Wrote:  

I suppose we can rationalize away all of the above as no big deal, doesn't mean anything, etc. but I know what I see and this type of nationalism doesn't appear to be a positive for foreigner's and American's in particular. I feel it on the street here in Makati and with the people I interact with. Maybe it's a small difference from two years ago but that's how it starts.

I'm not posting this to say who's in the right or the wrong. Just what I'm seeing and where I think it's going.

I haven't noticed any dramatic differences when it comes to nativist sentiment. Then again filipinos tend to be more frank when sharing their opinions with me since i'm asian.

The most hardcore nativists in SEA are still Thais though. Filipinos are lightweights with the pinoy pride stuff compared with the outright indoctrination most Thais have. To the Thai's credit this mentality has managed to insulate their culture somewhat despite being a major tourist destination.

I'm all for growing nationalism though. I don't necessarily believe this is negative for all foreigners as long as you conduct yourself in a respectful manner and make the right social connections then it's the same.

I believe globalism and multiculturalism has led Europe and the U.S. down some dark paths.

EE and most of Asia are the last holdouts in this world order pushed by the elites.

The Thais are anomalies and much of their pride and nativism was bequeathed to them by a fortuitous history. It is the only state in Southeast Asia never to be colonised. It is amazing that it held out even as the key areas of China (mostly by the British) were colonised and the Japanese swung towards American modes of modernisation from the late 19th century. Chinese Thai also seem to be the least Sino-like in the region, with the exception of Chinese Singaporeans. Chinese Malaysians are definitely more like the mainland Chinese than the Chinese Thai are.

As for the Philippines, many people there are all too aware of their mixed origins, making it harder for a robust nationalism to take hold (maybe Duterte will change this). I am astounded by how many fair-skinned middle-class or moderately affluent Filipinos I know with sizeable European ancestry. Duterte himself, although he's darker than many mixed Filipinos, has acknowledged European, Arabic and Chinese ancestors and I remember reading him talking about how half his grandchildren are Christian and the other half Muslim.

Born Down Under, but I enjoy Slovakian Thunder: http://slovakia.travel/en/nove-zamky

Messages In This Thread