rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Post what you did this week to become location independent/work remote soon

Post what you did this week to become location independent/work remote soon

Guys, there's a few location independence threads, but they tend to be specific to a person or skill, and they tend to fade away after a while, so this thread will be the hub for all of us working concretely towards location independence. This thread is for the doers, but those that are still in the dreaming phase can read and be inspired to turn their dreams into action.

Post about the things you did this week, concrete actions, that you took to achieve location independence. The goal is to gather all the info in one thread, and also, to build a community of location independent folks that can touch base with one another via this thread.

So first, introduce yourself and what your current area of specialty is (or what area you are specializing in), then let us know what you did this week to improve yourself in a manner that will make you more able to live a location independent lifestyle. Keep in mind that specialties can change over time as certain skills lose their viability and others rise to replace them. Also, some of us have multiple, unrelated specialties, resulting in separate income streams.

I'll start.

I'm attending a coding bootcamp in Austin, TX, where I'm based out of, and I'll be graduating in a few months and looking to go remote upon graduation, either via full time work, part time work, or contract work as a full stack web dev.

This week I worked on a project using Node.js, NPM, Express.js, MySQL, Handlebars, Sequelize, and the usual front end tech, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and jQuery. Also, I applied to my first remote position, for a company in the Northeast. The job posting was removed the morning after I applied, so it looks like they found a match before I applied. They had ten job requirements, and they wanted applicants to match at least 3 of them. I matched 9 out of 10, and I'm learning the 10th requirement in the next few months (Laravel), so I threw my hat in the ring.

So that's what I did this week to get me closer to location independence at the income/lifestyle I want.

I want this thread to provide value for as many of us as possible, so that everyone, no matter what age you are, can see that location independence isn't some fantasy, it just takes a willingness to make a lot of sacrifices, some business savvy, and the mental fortitude to stay focused while the world does its best to throw you off course.

So what's your specialty and what did you do, this week, to become location independent soon or to improve yourself if you're already location independent?

As I mentioned in another thread, life's just not that long, we've got to make the most of it before our bodies betray us, as they inevitably will.

Messages In This Thread