rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Winged Scapula (Shoulder Blades) Remedies and Strengthening

Winged Scapula (Shoulder Blades) Remedies and Strengthening

Quote: (06-22-2016 10:42 AM)PhDre Wrote:  

Quote: (06-22-2016 02:39 AM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Your rhomboids are the muscle group that you need to develop. They are the muscles underneath the shoulder blades.

I respectfully disagree with directly targeting the rhomboids in this case.
Winged scapula are most often caused by excessive downward rotation of the scapula.
Since the rhomboids are downward rotators themselves, training them directly can make the problem even worse.

In stead, you want to strengthen the upward rotators: serratus anterior and (especially lower) trapezius.
The exercise DarianFrey posted is very good for the serratus; you can do a google search for lower trap exercises.
(Kinjutsu, most of these exercises will hit the rhomboids as well, but they hit them in the upwardly rotated position, which is not a problem.)

One thing that might be very difficult at first is to get a mind-muscle connection with the serratus and lower traps. Probably your over-active upper traps, levator scapulae and rhomboids will take over and you will feel the exercises only there. It could be a good idea to spend a couple of sessions with a good physical therapist so he can release your over-active muscles (the ones I mentioned + lats probably) and learn you to use the proper muscles.

Source: over-active downward rotators have kept me out of the gym for years. Only extensive physical therapy (1 year+) to release the over-activated muscles and build the mind-muscle connection with the upward rotators has helped me to get back in the gym.

It's all good PhDre.
The movements i recommended were to prevent the issue from happening.
You're suggests are what to do when you already have the pain and discomfort.
A year of physical therapy? I believe that. It took me 8 months to get full range of motion back in my neck and upper back.

Messages In This Thread