rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Learning a language: a proven life-changing decision

Learning a language: a proven life-changing decision

Quote: (08-21-2016 07:40 AM)AntiMediocrity Wrote:  

Quote: (08-21-2016 04:42 AM)Agreddor Wrote:  

Can you elaborate on having a unique property?

If it wasn't obvious already, I meant property as in characteristic. Not housing property, heh.

So the learning curve and practicality of learning Polish is so high and low respectively that many, many non polish natives are completely averse to learning Polish, even at a basic level. Even guys who have dated a Pole for 5+ years and lived here for just as long barely know a word. So it's not just my native compatriots, however it goes without saying that I will be compared to British stags or UK love migrants moreso than Italians, Spaniards et al.

So speaking in Polish demonstrates immediate value. Even if it's simply "Sorry but I don't understand, my Polish is poor. I'm English" (Przypraszam ale nie rozumiem, słabo znam Polski. Jestem Anglikiem), you will 95% of the time be returned with "łał, bardzo mowicz po Polsku (Wow, you speak very good Polish) or some derivative of that.

My bad, I thought you were referring to a home.

Yes, I get that as well. It is quite unusual that most expats who live in a foreign country don't feel the need to learn the language. They think English would be enough, go figure.

I can resonate with what you're saying from my experience with speaking Russian to native speakers. Do you see yourself picking up another language in due time?

Messages In This Thread