rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Learning a language: a proven life-changing decision

Learning a language: a proven life-changing decision

Quote: (06-20-2016 03:34 AM)Rawmeo Wrote:  

However, learning a second language requires strong commitment, right learning methods, and total immersion. IMO it would be very hard to learn a language if people around you don't speak it, but some people have done it.

I agree that a strong commitment and good methods are important, but immersion is neither necessary nor sufficient to become proficient in the major world languages (English, Spanish, etc.). Lots of people develop good skills (at least B2, upper intermediate) without having first lived where the language is spoken. ("Immersing" yourself in the language by studying a lot, 'thinking in the language' and watching media in that language is not immersion per se.)

Even with decades of immersion, failure is possible. Lots of adults never really learn the language of their new country. I'm thinking of the immigrant grocery clerks in the US who ask "You want bag?" They can communicate but not accurately.

For beginners, immersion is a particularly poor choice. Without a base in the language, you can't absorb most of what you hear around you. A better plan is to take a course first to get to advanced beginner or lower intermediate. Once you do that, you'll be in a better position to benefit from an immersion environment.

Quote: (06-20-2016 03:34 AM)Rawmeo Wrote:  

There is a very old mindset in the Anglosphere that makes English speakers think, "I speak the universal language so people should speak it too". This is totally wrong, and I think that everyone should at least be able to speak 2 languages.

For most native English speakers, especially Americans, not learning a second language is a rational decision. For short trips, you can get along in most places with only English. Obviously the situation is different if you plan on extended travel or living abroad.

Messages In This Thread