rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Euro 2016

Euro 2016

Quote: (06-10-2016 11:38 PM)911 Wrote:  

yeah that was wicked good.

Quote: (06-11-2016 01:58 AM)Khan Wrote:  

Quote: (06-10-2016 05:31 PM)Anabasis to Desta Wrote:  

I don't know, football isn't as nerve-wracking as it used to be. Or maybe it's just my priorities shifting. But I still think 98 to around 2010 was the best time for football.

You just don't have nerve-wracking games like the 1999 Champions league final, Liverpool coming back from 3-0 and beating AC Milan in the 2005 UCL fina,l the UCL game Chelsea Vs Barca in 2004 (when Chelsea scored 3 goals in the first 20 minutes & Stamford bridge was collapsing) or Italy beating Germany 2-0 during extra time in the 2006 WC semis anymore.

Agree. Modern-day football is like trench warfare. More emphasis is placed on adherence to tactics and raw physicality than on creativity or technical skills. You just don't get beautiful games anymore. I remember the Netherlands v Czech Republic game from Euro 2004; it was beautiful to watch. Nowadays I'm not even bothered to watch Champions League or international games. It's just too boring.

I'd respectfully disagree. Football goes through different time periods and eras. Remember that in the period before 98-2010, you'd have to say that defensive football (Italians/Argentinians) reigned from about 84-94. And then obviously before that you'd have the great Dutch Total Football sides.

Football styles oscillate, stuff goes in and out of fashion. I think perhaps you are saying that fun ended around 2010 because of the emergence of suffocating possession football, which probably actually started in 2008. However I think that over the next few years, teams will change to a more counter attacking style, with powerful midfielders (look at the emergence of players like Pogba, Matuidi and Kante for France, Dier/Alli for England, even players like Bale and Neymar could be described as powerful.

As you will see tonight, Hodgson won't start with Wilshere. 4 years ago in the height of possession football, he definitely would have played.

Lastly, COME ON ENGLAND!

Messages In This Thread