rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Building from the ground up - Ottawa Canada

Building from the ground up - Ottawa Canada

The way for modern hip hop/Rnb producers to make money now is by having a beat selling site. People would go on a site like soundclick or myflashstore make an account, make a profile and upload beats to the site. They would sell leases(where you have been giving permission to use music but don't own) and exclusive(one individual has full ownership). There is a chart system on soundclick and ppl spend money on advertising to get up on the charts because ppl looking to buy beats go there first to check it out.

Leases go anywhere on avg from 20 - 40 a beat exclusives from 100 - 1000+. People that usually by music use it for YouTube videos, advertisements, background music, to make songs on, and etc. People make good money on soundclick if they market promote brand and have a good quality product.

I had a friend in la he started making 1k - 2k a month and then moved up to 7-8k in a year span. He spent a good amount on advertising and bout a decent amount of equipment. The top 1% can make nice 6 figure incomes. Checkout superstar o he drives a damn Lamborghini.

The music industry to make a lot of money you gotta be that 1 in a million. You also gotta network with the big dogs and industry dudes. It's very competitive and for 99% of ppl a pipe dream. They don't really pay royalty cheque like they used to since ppl stopped buying albums and the future of music is streaming.

It's also heavily saturated due to the rapid changes in technology. Back in the 90s you wanted to be a music producer you would need around 20k worth of equipment. Now with a laptop and pirated software you can do everything the equipment can. Since the software has really blown up due to huge sound libraries that are like 200gb plus and the technology available these days. You can make great quality music with limited tools. You can easily send your music to a more premium studio to get it mixed over the Internet easily.

I personally believe getting into to film soundtracks and composing more musically inclined music that requires training is the way to go. If you know music theory and play instruments doing film soundtracks and tv show scores would be ideal. Since they music can be anywhere from classical, jazz, funk, and Rnb. It requires more effort and intellect then making simplistic rap beats.

People will still need music but the industry has changed. The reason I left is low profit margins, really time consuming, and not a bright future ahead. I heard ppl were leasing beats on soundclick for 100 a pop, now it's gone down to 20 dollars. Anybody can do it now, and everybody is doing it.

Messages In This Thread