rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Mobility & Range of Motion/ Myofasical Release/ Yoga & Flexibility/ Stretching

Mobility & Range of Motion/ Myofasical Release/ Yoga & Flexibility/ Stretching

About 2 or so years ago I bought "Becoming a Supple Leopard" by Kelly Starrett.

He wants you to be a killer.

This book is his way of showing you exactly how to do that.

Everything that a human being ought to know in order to keep the body we all have - our walking meat vessels - at peak condition is compiled in this 400+ page hardcover book. Accompanied by a high picture per page count, even an incomprehensive simpleton will be lulled into it's pages.

Here is a book of everything people have been doing wrong with their bodies for years, written by an author who has solved the issues of human motion, stability and physical longevity, and solved it beyond a doubt. He wrote this book to provide everything you need to know in order to minimize and negate bad movement habits and maximize your kinetic potential, be you athlete or office worker

To give such a thorough book such a terse summary does not do it justice, but when compared to the simplicity of the evidence presented, accompanied by each man's innate ability of reason, perhaps it is fitting.

The narrative of the book is casual yet succinct, with certain technical jargon thrown in that become easy to identify with after the first chapter. Having seen interviews and a TON of Youtube vids with Mr. Starrett, both good and bad, I would attest the written tone is quite emblematic of the man's personality (Wathch his Joe Rogan podcast for a laugh)

The first half of the book goes over virtually all physical positions one finds onself in daily, be it athletic or sedentary, along with examples of the right ways and wrong ways to assume these positions. The second half and its chapters go over each body part and what sort of "human maintenance" you can perform on yourself in order to mitigate pain or assume a stronger position. In this section there is a wee bit of product placement from K-Star and co., but tactfully done (he mentions substituting his products with pedestrian materials e.g. rubber tire tube,) and not without reason.

I've been conscious of the Kelly Starrett camp since 2011, yet only in the last couple years have I started applying his theories and exercises. The first time it was in order to rehab a hamstring injury, the second was to perfect squatting mobility in regards to Olympic weightlifting movements such as the snatch and Clean and Jerk. Now I use his techniques everyday to stay limber and recover from daily weightlifting sessions and rugby trainings.

The consensus?

His shit works.

Before you even buy the book, buy a handful of lacrosse balls and a hard foam roller.

Using these object, start putting pressure on any spots on your body that make you sore. Not jolting pain sore, more like that-uncle-who-digs-his-fingers-into-your-scapula-and-traps sore. That's half the treatment right there.

If you take it slow, and read the first half of the book before the second - imagine that - and buy into what he professes, you will learn how to recognize your posture-destroying smartphone habits, which parts of your body are holding you back in the weight room, and how to maximize powerful posture well into your body's final years on this Earth. After the first read-through, treat it as a reference guide, going back to the techniques that apply to you and yours.

If you are an experienced athlete, you might comprehend his points easier than most.

The only thing I would have liked to seen him touch on would be sleeping orientation, firmness of bedding and that sort of ilk. But then again he has released a second edition at the end of 2015 and I only have the first.

My question is:

Have you guys found any better ways to optimize and achieve full range of motion, like the ROM that an untarnished 4 yr old might have?

How do you guys maintain limberness after hypertrophy and high-rep range workouts?

I know it's harder to get full ROM as you get older (I'm 22) but what do you boys do to recapture and maintain it?

I'm trying to spend time doing yoga but only off YT videos because I just can't deal with going to foo-foo yoga classes.

I have dated or fucked a decent amount of yoga/ hippy girls (do I have a type?) and I have learned that they all tend to be of an alternate mindset to me -leftist tatooed hippy dippy types with very little sexual morality- but I know there are some really pure-heared chicks that do this stuff too.

Kinda funny because as polar opposite as I am from them they all want to be cuffed/ dominated etc. Not even surprised anymore. I digress.

Let me know what you boys use to get flexible and injury free!

Cheers

-C

Messages In This Thread