rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How can we bring back the verb "to ball" as to have sex?

How can we bring back the verb "to ball" as to have sex?

Thanks for the history lesson. I love learning about the origin of words. I have heard "to ball" on a few occasions, and it really made an impression. It has greater resonance than "to shag," or "to bang," or any of the other expressions people use today.

Led Zeppelin used it with Hey, Hey, What can I do?

It was revived recently for the film Sideways (2004) when the character sarcastically uses it with his friend Jack.

You can also see Herbert Kornfeld of the Onion use it, but the Onion is, of course, a satirical magazine.

As you probably know, "baller" and "balling" are terms used mainly by urban youths today, but in a different context sometimes leading older people to believe that this "euphemism" for sex is coming back.

Older examples can be found in the movie Joe (1970) when a hippy girl uses it with the middle-aged protagonist.

If you're a true-crime buff, you will find that Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald uses it extensively in Fatal Vision by Joe McGinnis. When questioned about his extramarital affair, the doctor, who is suspected of homicide, responds, "Big deal. I balled her!"

So, if there are any ways to revitalize old-school slang, I would appreciate some suggestions. I did use it socially and it got some laughs from the men present, but I haven't tried it around women. One person, a rather prudish gent from the UK, responded with "you need to find another word than 'to ball.'

Perhaps using it online a few times might popularize it, and then I can make the venture to use it out in public more.

Messages In This Thread