rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Software development - which field is best in terms of Money and Freedom

Software development - which field is best in terms of Money and Freedom

Some update after a half year: decided to get deeper into embedded systems/ microcontrollers. Got a job there for a project for a few months, more some kind of payed internship. Was a good experience but it s over now.

Anyway, the put in work now drives me even more into the direction Embedded Systems / Microcontrollers, Programming in C/ C++.

But still it keeps my thoughts busy all the time that anything I hear about freelancing/ location independence, like here , I hear about the newest web technologies and frameworks, mobile apps, and stuff like that. Rarely about embedded systems.
So my conclusion is it s a niche and it s really not the perfect way for the route to freedom. But still not impossible.

The alternative would be to use my knowledge about Programming to get into all this web-related stuff with the midterm goal of freelancing.

The Pluses and Minuses I conclude:

Embedded Systems: Higher Pay.
Less competition
relates more to my degree in electric engineering than the web-stuff
But the High pay and high demand seems to be there only IF you are really good what might be the case only
after several years.

Web-development / apps/ ..... : It s the classic field for people who love freedom (Freelancers, projectwise work, remote gigs etc.)

The entry seems to be easier: less need for a formal degree and a classical career, jobs in small
startups and not in traditional industry. Often sounds like do some online courses at codecademy and
start bidding for your first jobs on upwork.

So I conclude probably I ll earn less in this field but the fruits can be earned quicker. Which is
considerable at my age.

As it s not hardware related you can learn almost everything by yourself from the internet while in
Embedded Systems you ll need more real work exprérience because you don t have all that
hardware at home. Also for Freelancing it might need some investments into hardware whereas in
the webfield havinga notebook is enough.

So in short: Embedded Systems has the better money and less competition, but the whole field of web and mobile is better tailored for the goal of a free lifestyle outside of a 9 to 5 office job.

Messages In This Thread