rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why do Westerners/Anglos eat with a knife and fork(instead of a fork and spoon)?

Why do Westerners/Anglos eat with a knife and fork(instead of a fork and spoon)?

Inspired by this thread/posts by Kasich's(Cucksich) eating habits. thread-48360...pid1285749

It really made me think for a few hours. Why the hell do Westerners eat with a knife and fork things that aren't steak(or rack of lamb or similar)?

Coming from a SEA family I thought we were actually really westernized when we were eating with a fork and spoon(spoon dominant) instead of chopsticks. And I've only eaten out at friends houses uncommonly enough that maybe I'd notice they'd use a knife and fork but not pay it much thought.

Now that I think about it it's quite ridiculous to eat a lot of things with a knife and fork(fork dominant). A spoon is a much more versatile utensil than a fork. The only things I'd ever use a fork predominantly are steak, or noodles(but that I would still use a spoon as the other utensil). And a knife is a bit ridiculous in that if you don't have to cut a steak, a spoon(or fork) just makes so much more sense.

I actually looked online about it and that's how I realised it was mainly standard in SEA but not really anywhere else. Also the claimed reasons why Westerners use a fork instead of a spoon include:

It's "weird" to use a spoon for anything but soups/cereal/ice cream
It's way more precise to use(I guess... but a spoon just shovels so much more)
It's good for portion control ie putting less food in your utensil, a spoon would be too much at once(This is actually really ridiculous to me... don't you want more food per mouthful?)

It's even more ridiculous when Westerners use a fork to eat rice. That to me just blows my mind. Don't people realise how much better a spoon is? For rice!

Messages In This Thread