rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What's a good small business for an immigrant wife

What's a good small business for an immigrant wife

My Filipina wife is newly arrived in the U.S., and the Filipino ex-pats she's meeting here are already encouraging her to get a job. Her original intention had been to start a small business, and I would still like her to do that, since it would be good for her to have flexible hours in which to spend time with our kids, and hopefully we could involve the kids in the family business at some point.

Overseas, she was a mining negotiator and seller of appliances, real estate, cars, shoes, etc. So I'm thinking some kind of sales work would be good. She hasn't figured out what exactly to get involved in, though.

It tends to be an uphill struggle for Filipinos trying to start businesses in the U.S., since they usually don't arrive with a lot of capital, and there isn't a big Filipino business community already established in the U.S. that could help them get started, plus they tend to be more family-oriented than business-oriented and to feel complacent about the boost in quality of life they get just from moving from the Phils to the U.S. (See Filipino and Korean Immigrants in Small Business: A Comparative Analysis) I'm hoping we can find a way to start a business that will be compatible with raising a large family. She's already pregnant, so we have about eight months left before there will be a new baby taking a lot of her attention.

Meanwhile, I'll probably continue being a breadwinner in the corporate world until/unless it seems like there's more money to be made by my helping with the business.

Messages In This Thread