rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Building Your Suit Wardrobe (Guide)

Building Your Suit Wardrobe (Guide)

Back-Of-The-Closet Suits
Once you've built a collection of about ten to twelve suits, including the Classic Four, 3-4 Summer Suits and 3-4 Intermediate Suits, you are ready to start your Back-Of-The-Closet collection.

These suits are defined by the fact that, no matter how much you love them, you won't be able to wear them nearly as often as the suits already in your collection.

These suits are characterized by their ability to make a powerful impression, but that powerful impression will be significantly undermined if you don't rotate them properly.

For an example of suits done to their ultimate extent, look no further than Jeremy Piven's character on the show Entourage: Ari Gold. While he typically rocks the LA power suit around the office, he also seems to have a hundred different casual combinations as well.

Imagine how less impressive Piven's Gold would be if he only had two power suits and two casual outfits.

Most of Gold's outfits stand out in a big way (not a member of the classic four club), but since he apparently has dozens of different outfits, he can get away with it. You never notice him wearing the same outfit twice on different, so whenever he comes on screen wearing anything other than a dark pinstriped business suit, he makes a powerful impression....every time.

Now, you can't wear an impressive, attention getting suit on one occasion, and then retreat into non-suit wear for the next three months, without being nothing more than "the guy who wore a nice suit one time." But, that's kinda like getting a nice rental tux for prom. Sure, it'll generate some conversation among your classmates, but everyone knows that you're still Dan who pissed his pants in the fourth grade,

However, if you've got the Classic Four, some Summer Suits and a few more Intermediate Suits already in your wardrobe, you've given yourself permission to occasionally appear in public in a knockout suit combination, without setting the bar too high.

Speciality Suits
  • All White Suit
  • Tuxedos
  • Pinstripe Suits
  • Unusual Colours
All White Suit

[Image: 6A2CsQU.jpg]
Yes, yes, yes.

There are few looks as fly as an all white suit. You can get some mind-blowing combinations with one of these bad boys in your closet. White jacket, black pants is one of my favourites.

[Image: f7hb7qj.jpg]
About as dressed up as a man can be.

Unfortunately, there are few suits that will (and can) get less wear than a white suit. They need constant dry cleaning. You need to be extremely careful wear you sit when wearing one. And as much as I like the white jacket, black pants combination, I'd be the first to admit that there are extremely few situations were wearing it is congruent. You can't even wear it to weddings, because you'll be mistaken for a member of the wedding party. The only real opportunity where you'll get use out of a white suit is black tie events that are not weddings and environments where every other man is going to be suited up and you really want to stand out.

It's lack of regular usefulness lands the white suit squarely in the "speciality suit" category, but if you already have 15 or more suits in your closet, it is a really fun addition to have.

I made the mistake of getting a white suit among the first eight tailored suits that I requisitioned, and while I can now think of a half dozen mainstays that would have been a smarter purchase that early on, I can't deny that having a white suit has been fun for those odd times, I pull it out of the back of my closet. New Years Eve 2012 comes to mind.

While for a white suit in wool or silk, there are limited application, a white linen suit combines casual with "hey! notice me" in a very special way. Something consider for your summer wardrobe. If you go with a slight off-white, you'll be able to get away with wearing it to more formal events, like your nephew's 12th grade graduation, without looking like a weirdo in a stupid suit.

[Image: image12079.jpg]
Pimp.

If you can't imagine yourself dressing like this, it's not for you. There are plenty of other options for your wardrobe. But if you look at the picture above and like it, keep this idea in the back of your head for when you've got a full collection and are looking for something truly boss.

Tuxedos

[Image: hTl67Ig.jpg]
PPK optional.

A tuxedo is something you only need to acquire if you really want one. It's very easy to use a black suit as a tux by adding a bowtie or even a solid black tie, so portion of your wardrobe is exceedingly optional and will for most men, rarely be useful. Personally, I'd prefer another blue suit in a slightly different shade.

Pinstripe Suits

This was mentioned early as an option for a second black suit and it is. However, if the only reason to own a good number of these is if you are a lawyer or in a similar profession where regular pinstripe suit wear is the norm.

Unusual Colours

Put a lot of thought into the decision to choose any unusual colours and only do so after you've got the basics covered and already have 10+ suits.

[Image: lfhiemN.jpg]
Interesting.

[Image: 5Keiu3j.jpg]
Weird.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Messages In This Thread