rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Speed/Agility vs. Strength/Mass for combat?

Speed/Agility vs. Strength/Mass for combat?

Couldn't find anything on the topic. Ad please move if beating dead horse.

I'm considering taking a serious no-nonsense combat system, either Muay Thai or Krav. And I need to choose a focus.

As far as I understand, you can either be strong/tough/big OR be fast/agile. It's very hard to be both unless you are a professional athlete, which I am not.

I'm a small but properly built guy at 135lbs. The way I see it, I can focus on speed and agility which should already be my advantage. Being able to see and react to a blow before it lands is important, as in being able to dish out blows quicker = more blows.

The thing is, an opponent who is slower, but stronger and tougher, can easily take a few beatings, but if he manages to land even one blow that would be fatal. What's more, if you are in grappling range, (assuming equal skills) sheer brute force and muscle density would win over. And almost all fights finishes in close range.

It's like a dagger vs a two handed maul. One who can dish out a dozen jabs in a few secs, other is slow and cumbersome but can smash blocks.

As to power itself, force = mass x velocity*2, so it seems developping speed is yields more return on investment than mass.

Would like to hear people's opinion on the matter.

Ass or cash, nobody rides for free - WestIndiArchie

Messages In This Thread