rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Data Sheet - Law School

Data Sheet - Law School

I guess I'll chime in here for another perspective. I'm in IP "Big Law." A niche solo/small practice can be potentially far more lucrative than working at a firm, with the caveats from lavidaloca above. I don't really want to be a solo, but I admire the guys who get out there and make it happen. I don't think of myself as a "real" lawyer sometimes, because I've never had to file complaints/motions in any court (I don't do litigation). Lifestyle is surprisingly reasonable, and much of the work can be done remotely, although I come into the office. That being said, you need very solid scientific credentials to be considered a good candidate. In the past electrical engineers were in high demand, but a recent Supreme Court case (Alice Corp. v. CLS Bank) has put a lot software patents in doubt. This has decreased demand for EE's, whereas before it was pretty easy to find a job.

That said, you really need to have a plan for post-law school that involves more than graduating from law school. A lot of law students want to practice "international law" or "human rights law," and are invariable disappointed. Many of my classmates do not practice law.

I think people would be well served by checking out some of Mike Cernovich's comments regarding his law school experience, and how he distinguished himself. I think if you don't have some kind of plus factor (like a solid science education), you need to be able to differentiate yourself from the herd.

The other item not mentioned is the bar exam. The bar exam is not super difficult, provided you put in the work during law school and do the bar prep course (essential). I believe VA, CA, and FL are considered to be the toughest exams.

Messages In This Thread