rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

R.I.P. London

R.I.P. London

Quote: (01-23-2016 06:21 PM)quino_16 Wrote:  

Quote: (01-23-2016 04:18 PM)thedarkknight Wrote:  

Yet, instead of other ambitious countries with Imperialist ambitions (Germany, Russia, Japan) the British picked on weak, under-industrialised countries instead of other powerful European colonists like France, Spain, Holland, Portugal or Belgium. I have no beef with the British or their monumental Empire but what I wrote is true.

This is completely wrong.

Britain has always fought against the strongest European continental power at the time, in fear of being conquered like in 1066.

For example, in 1588, the British decisively defeated the Spanish Armada, who were the strongest power at the time.

In the Thirty Years War, the British stopped the Habsburgs from taking over Europe.

Afterwards, the British fought against the French, who were the latest strongest continental power, in the Seven Years' War. Then the British again fought against the French, who were led by Napoleon.

Afterwards, you have the British fighting against the Germans in WWI and WWII.

A simple way I have heard it described, England's long term goal in Europe was that of a 'balance of power' on the continent. Whenever any country started to look like they could take over the whole continent of Europe (plus the part of Russian that is to the west of the Urals), then England would ally with the weaker side to prevent this from happening, and maintain a balance of power on the continent.

Messages In This Thread