rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Been going to the gym consistently for over a year, I have very slow progress. Why?

Been going to the gym consistently for over a year, I have very slow progress. Why?

Quote: (01-07-2016 05:43 PM)mickeyd Wrote:  

i dont post here often, mostly lurk, but i see alot of my former self in you, so i'll throw in my two cents.

First off, you're naturally a pretty skinny dude. Genetically speaking, you need to get rid of the idea that working out will get you jacked (unless you stick with your workouts perfectly for 15+ years or go on steroids). Your workout is very regimented like a typical bodybuilding routine and you are measuring out your diet based on a "bulking" phase.

IMO you need to focus more on athleticism. Bodybuilding routines and bulking are designed for heavy men who move heavy weights.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to pick up a sport, particularly a combat sport like boxing or wrestling. I would advise against kickboxing, jiu-jitsu or other technical martial arts as they require a high level of coordination on a basic level,(ex: you cant start playing soccer quickly if you've never kicked a ball ever but you could pick up playing ultimate frisbee at a very basic level in only a few weeks even if youve never thrown a frisbee)

so I'll wrap this up for you as im tired of typing lol.

1. take 6 months off of any weight training to let your injury heal, or else you might have a nagging injury that will bother you for years to come.

2. Look into a boxing or wrestling gym. It will give you a competitive drive, you will be stronger and faster from a fight or flight response.

3. After healing your injury, start with a very basic program. Pullups, pushups, squats, shoulder press. Ditch the bench press. Try a dip assist machine. Don't follow reps and sets for gospel, the key is to always push yourself.

4. Don't bulk! skinny + bulking = skinny fat. Eat 3 solid meals a day and a protein shake before bed. and drink lots of water.

Maybe this is a good idea, to pick up boxing or wrestling. I've considered it in the past, several physios have told me as well. Why don't you just go play a sport and ditch the fitness as it's not for everyone. However I really like fitness and really like the physical benefits it gave me. Even though my bodyfat increased I've also gained a bit of muscle and people seem to notice, the small things help. Whenever I look at my peers though that are eating like shit and only go to the gym 2x a week at max doing random bodyparts like chest and bicep and making the same if not faster gains than me I start to get discouraged and forget why I started.

Messages In This Thread