rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Scott Adams on How to Properly Manage Your Priorities in Life

Scott Adams on How to Properly Manage Your Priorities in Life

This passage from Scott Adam's "How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big" really struck a chord with me. I mean, there are so many choice quotes I could pull from this book (read it if you haven't already).

In this chapter, he goes on to discuss how your priorities in life should be organized (note that I typed it out, so any typos are probably mine).

Quote:Quote:

It's useful to think of your priorities in terms of concentric circles, like an archery target. In the center is your highest priority: you. If you ruin yourself, you won't be able to work on any other priorities. So taking care of your health is job one.

The next ring - and your second-biggest priority - is economics. That includes your job, your investments, and even your house. You might wince at the fact that I put economics ahead of your family, your friends, and the rest of the world, but there's a reason. If you don't get your personal financial engine working right, you place a burden on everyone from your family to the country.

Once you are both healthy and financially sound, it's time for the third ring: family, friends, and lovers. Good health and sufficient money are necessary for a base level of happiness, but you need to be right with your family, friends, and romantic partners to truly enjoy life.

The next rings are your local community, your country, and the world, in that order. Don't bother trying to fix the world until you get the inner circles of your priorities under control.

He goes on to admit how these are all interwined, so the choice isn't always a clearcut one, and offers some advice on how to make flexible decisions using this basic framework.

The two big standouts for me here were:

1) Economics being second after health.

I've struggled with this, but he's right and the way he puts it really rings true for me.

So many things in my life are off because I don't get my work done and keep the cash flowing. Bottom line is that if you don't keep your finances in order you don't have the peace of mind or means to fully enjoy and add value to the other places in your life. And if there are things in your life that are in a state of chaos, I'd be willing to bet that they're either caused by your less than stellar health or less than stellar finances.

I honestly don't have any problems in my life right now that better finances couldn't solve. I don't say that because I think money is everything; I'm fortunate to have few unsolveable problems. But the fact still stands.

2) The idea about not bothering to fix the world if your own life is out of control.

So true.

The more you work on yourself, the more you have to offer others. In other parts of the book he talks about how it's almost a natural result of getting rich that you go through a phase of wondering "what else" and then start feeling the urge to donate or take part in world-changing projects.

He admits it's not true for everyone but tends to be generally true for most people.

So again, by working on your finances (and other top priorities), you better prepare yourself to add more value to the world at large.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Messages In This Thread