rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

On the complete failure of the modern education system

On the complete failure of the modern education system

"Irresponsible, immature, uneducated, stupid, oversized children"

Used any of those words to describe a highschool graduate recently?

Me too.

Do you remember feeling like those were fairly accurate descriptors of your graduating class?

I do.

Do you remember wondering why you had to go to school and what the fuck you were even supposed to be "learning" whilst locked up in a little cage and forced to remember some random facts/stats/ideas completely out of context and without even the slightest inkling how that information could possibly be useful to you in any way?

If you went to school in the last 15 years I know for a fact you do

This debacle that is public education can no longer hide its glaring flaws from the world.

Take some PC miseducation, outright lies and slander, plus an entirely rigid and authoritarian regime, and you quickly find you have a recipe for unhappy, uneducated, unmotivated, confused, lost, disrespectful, angry kids that have no idea what they're doing, where they're going, or even where to find the answers to those questions.

There's been a lot of discussion here about the failure of the current education system, but I'd like to see some sort of structured discourse on the ways it has failed and why, but also, more importantly, what could be done to improve it. I suspect that a large portion of this generation (of RVFer's, at least) will be homeschooling their children, so this is a topic of very real importance to those who want their kids to grow up with their eyes open, rather than as slaves to their state

I recently came across this blog post, which is more or less my feelings on the matter summarised and formatted into a neat little article. It is very much worth the read and says a lot about the current state of the western education system

Quote:Quote:

School teaches them that life is broken into discernible chunks and and that learning and personal development are to be seen as work. Rather than teaching them how to foster a love of learning, a constantly-centralizing school regime in the US today teaches them to look for standards to be measured against. Rather than helping give them the cognitive and philosophical tools necessary to lead fulfilled lives in the context of the world in which they live, schools remove them from this world and force them to develop these skills only after 18-25 years of being alive. Rather than allowing them to integrate themselves into the broader scheme of life and learn what they get fulfillment from achieving and what they don’t, school leaves fulfillment to five letter grades and a few minutes of recess.

Quote:Quote:

In short, school teaches apathy towards education and detachment from the world. School removes people from being forced to learn how to get fulfillment from a variety of activities and subjects and instead foists a handful of clunky subjects onto them hoping they meet state standards for “reading,” “mathematics,” “writing,” and “science.”

Not only this, but they’ve had childhood extended further into adulthood than any other generation before them. A young person today is considered a “child” much longer than a young person 20 or 40 years ago would have been considered as much. To treat a 16 year-old as a child in the 1960s would have been insulting. Today, it is commonplace.

Adult children wander the hallways of universities and workplaces today, less-equipped to find purpose and meaning than their predecessors. They can’t be entirely blamed for their anxiety and depression — their parents, teachers, and leaders put them through an institution and created a cultural norm that created the world they live in today.

While I know this is going to be a touchy subject and there are going to be some seriously conflicting opinions here, this is a topic above all else that needs attention if we are to have any hope for the future of the next generation, and the human species beyond.

If you're unsure about this topic, think back to your own education and how you feel it could have been improved, or just try remember the things that just made an 8 year old you shout "what the fuck?" aloud in front of your principal.

I only hope this thread can be a safe place for the ideas that will shape and direct the future to take form and slowly simmer into something beautiful, elegant, and most importantly, effective in raising future generations of intelligent, healthy, happy, productive, and fulfilled humans

Messages In This Thread