rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Regulation Consultant Datasheet

The Regulation Consultant Datasheet

What is a Regulation Consultant?

The world is full of laws and regulations. We usually get mad at them, because let's face it - it's annoying.
However - One company's problem, is another mans fortune.

A regulation consultant knows a specific field of regulation, and can advice companies (and people) on how to "go around" or comply.

What do you need in order to be one?

First and foremost – EXPERIENCE.
You must work the field for some years. Whether it is 6Sigma, commerce list, ITAR, health, environment or finance - You must show articulacy in the subject matter.

Second – you have to be a "salesman" .
You will need to present yourself, sell your skills and be able to play on people's fear.
Let's face it - you are selling "insurance" (You are hired so they will not be sued).
That is of course relevant to a lot of freelancers.

Third – Detail oriented person
You cannot "wing it". In regulation consulting, attention to details is key.
This is part of what you sell.

Fourth – knowledge seeker
Regulations tend to change, and one must be on top of it. You may need to read a lot, talk to people and maybe go to conferences (hopefully to lecture).
If you are not "that guy", drop it.

Pros

•Niche – there usually aren’t a lot of those. Having a reputation will make the clients come to you.
•You can work as a freelancer, but also be on the payroll (Some people prefer it).
•All the PROS of a freelancer..

Cons

•Legal responsibility (prepare to have Professional liability insurance, in case you messed up).
•Competition - Most regulations have a lot of consultants in the area. This means that you will need to drop your pants (as well as your price) to get the gig.
•Attrition - I have witnessed some regulation consultants burn, because you are at least one level removed from the core business of the company.
Also - you become "that annoying guy" who "keeps on stopping us".

Career path

You have to work the field for at least 2-3 years, specialize and build a reputation.
I became a national expert in Export Control regulation in less than 2 years time, because I worked for the regulator. That got me in contact with hundreds of companies, and helped me understand how the regulator thinks.
Some of the consultants learned it, being on a company payroll, or had something to do with it.

Do I recommend it?
Not for everyone.
It usually happens "by chance".
One can study the subject matter, but it is very hard.

"I love a fulfilling and sexual relationship. That is why I make the effort to have many of those" - TheMaleBrain
"Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Messages In This Thread