rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Thoughts of leaving Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Thoughts of leaving Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Quote: (10-03-2015 02:58 AM)mntrsx Wrote:  

I started to think of leaving the bjj and start something more practical like muay thai. The place that I train bjj teaches only ground fighting(we start on the ground), no throws or even takedowns so I feel it's almost useless. I tried other bjj schools and it's all the same. I still like bjj, but don't know what's the purpose to continue with this sport. Any advice?

I had the same experience with BJJ. And this was at a school that trained people for mma matches (as well as a big focus on BJJ competition). We did little practice on takedowns/standing grappling; the only people at the school with good takedown games already had it when the got there, from previous wrestling experience. Guys that started with BJJ tended to develop good guard/sweep game and often looked to pull guard.

As someone interested in martial arts from a self-defense/real world fighting perspective rather than a competition perspective, this left BJJ lacking for me. I've concluded that the absolute best thing to do in a real fight (multiple opponents excepted) is to knock or take your opponent down and be on top of him (or still standing). And the absolute worst thing to have happen is the reverse--be knocked or taken down with your opponent on top.

BJJ is good for surviving the second situation, and for controlling and dominating in the first. But it doesn't help determine which position you wind up in in the first place.

To your actual question: I agree with others who say look for a place to learn judo. You might even find a club where you can train for free or close to it. Judo seems to have more of a club organization rather than a pay a fee and take a class setup.

Messages In This Thread