rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

RVF Movie Club

RVF Movie Club

December movie selections

The following selection of films represents what I feel is a good cross section of both mainstream films as well as lesser known independent and or foreign films.

The mainstream selections are I believe worthy of viewing again.

Miller's Crossing (1991)

[Image: MV5BMTY2Njk3MTAzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTY5...14_AL_.jpg]

IMDB logline "Tom Regan, an advisor to a Prohibition-era crime boss, tries to keep the peace between warring mobs but gets caught in divided loyalties"

The Coen brothers (Ethan and Joel) are in my opinion some of the best and most versatile filmmakers of our time. Best known films like Fargo, No Country For Old Men, The Big Lebowski, Blood Simple, A Serious Man. Raisin Arizona, Barton Fink, A Bridge Of Spies ....I could go on...Millers Crossing is my favorite of their films and IMO highly underrated.

Viewing tip. One of the best aspects of this film is the period dialogue, For maximum enjoyment I recommend taking a minute to learn some of the hard boiled slang used in the film Millers Crossing Glossary

Mud (2012)

[Image: MV5BMTU2MzcyODgyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTc4...14_AL_.jpg]

IMDB logline "Two young boys encounter a fugitive and form a pact to help him evade the vigilantes that are on his trail and to reunite him with his true love."

Best movie from 2012 IMO and the title role (along with the Role of Rust Cohle in True Detective) is the role of Mathew McConaughey's career. Small release means not a lot of people saw this but I think there are a number of themes explored in this film that will resonate with the forum.

Intacto (2001)

[Image: MV5BMTQ3MDcxNjk5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzYz...14_AL_.jpg]

IMDB logline "An enigmatic tale of four incredibly lucky people whose lives are intertwined by destiny are subject to the laws of fate."

The first of my foreign (Spanish) film entries Intacto I don't want to spoil it so I won't divulge too much but it will change the way you view the concept of "luck". Plus it has an appearance by Max Von Sydow, one of my favorite old school actors. I don't think he's ever been in a bad film.

True Romance (1993)

[Image: MV5BMTMxMTM3MDIwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDYy...14_AL_.jpg]

IMDB logline Clarence marries hooker Alabama, steals cocaine from her pimp, and tries to sell it in Hollywood, while the owners of the coke try to reclaim it.

I am amazed how often I encounter people that have not seen True Romance. Written by Quentin Tarantino (his best writing ever...according to QT himself) directed by Tony Scott (may he RIP) and one of the most incredible casts (watch how many current major stars have have small roles but incredible performances). If you have not seen True Romance then consider this movie recommendation an early Xmas present from me. You'll thank me later...Youre welcome.

Oldboy (2003)

[Image: MV5BMTI3NTQyMzU5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM2...g%E2%80%8B]

IMDB Logline"After being kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years, Oh Dae-Su is released, only to find that he must find his captor in 5 days."

Another foreign film that most people outside of S Korea have never heard of. There are numerous South Korean films that are great. One of the reasons I think they make good films is they deem willing to go places western filmmakers can or won't. This one is dark but powerful and has some surprises.

Casualties Of War (1989)

[Image: MV5BMTM0MTg0ODgzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzk2...g%E2%80%8B]

IMDB Logline "During the Vietnam War, a soldier finds himself the outsider of his own squad when they unnecessarily kidnap a female villager."

Another one I'm often surprised how often people say they've never seen. From another great filmmaker, Brian De Palma (Scarface, Snake Eyes, Mission To Mars, The Untouchables, Body Double, Carlito's Way) Casualties Of War is underrated and IMO one of the best Vietnam War movies made but overlooked. Part of it is hard heart-breakingly hard to watch but it's a great film with themes worthy of discussion.

That's enough of the dark, so I'll end this list with a lighter selection

Amélie (2001)

[Image: MV5BMTYzNjkxMTczOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODg5...g%E2%80%8B]

IMDB Logline "Amelie is an innocent and naive girl in Paris with her own sense of justice. She decides to help those around her and, along the way, discovers love."

I can hear it already "WTF is up with this PT? What are you, half a fag?... listing a "chick flick?" Easy you fucking neanderthals. Some of you can use a little culture and can stand to have your horizons broadened. Hear me out.

"Content does not a film make"-Roger Ebert This film by director Jean-Pierre Jeunet in my opinion is the "The five tool player" of films. Story, cinematography, editing, musical score (incredible soundtrack), and innovation. This film (aka "The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain") successfully creates a "complete" fantastical world.

And guess what? No movie has gotten me laid more than this one. How? When I meet a chick one of the things I always ask is "Do you believe in fate or destiny?" If they answer "yes" (and they often do because chicks often believe in magical thinking since it relieves them of responsibility)...you see where this is going?

The first time, every time, I "Netflix and chill" with a chick, I put this movie in, open a nice bottle of French wine and "voila"...by the end of the movie it was destiny / fate that brought us together so that I could put my "le-cock" in her "le-pussy hole". Not so gay now huh?

I could go on and on but I'll leave it there for December. Feel free to continue chime in on any of the films from October and November as well

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell

Messages In This Thread