rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

RVF Movie Club

RVF Movie Club

Quote: (10-23-2015 04:36 AM)Thaitanium Wrote:  

I saw 'Only god forgives' being mentioned in this thread. I guess you either hate it or love it. I loved it, an absolute mindfuck, also because you get to see some gritty Bangkok scenes. Great use of colours and sound. Wondering how you guys feel about this one?

It's one of my all time favourites. Have yet to meet anyone in day to day life that actually likes it. I'd just been in Bangkok prior to watching and it captured the city beautifully.

To avoid spoilers I'll just say that it's very low on dialogue and forces you to really think about the imagery. There are strong links to the Old Testament, Oedipus and Hamlet. In Refn's words he was trying to deconstruct a classic martial arts movie [Think kick boxer] albeit a very slow, unconventional, gritty version.

In regards to the colours; that's actually due to some issue with Refn's vision. I believe I read that he is partially colour blind and can only see the intense red's, pink's and oranges clearly.

Messages In This Thread