rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

RVF Movie Club

RVF Movie Club

A little late the the party, but count me in on this. I watched "The Drop" last night. Enjoyable flick. I think there's enough going on that it would be worth watching a second time, just to pick up on the smaller details.

I liked the aesthetic of this film. The sepia-heavy look was good, but what really caught my eye were some jarring shots interspersed throughout the film that clashed against standard "rule of thirds" practices. The furnace shot that AB mentioned was one, there was another shot of Tom Hardy's head is centred, in profile, in the frame, in front of an octagonal window in the hallway of Noomi Rapace's home. There's another where Hardy is at his kitchen sink looking out the window. He is placed on the left hand side of the frame while looking towards the left (before turning around). Even some of the conversational scenes feature a jagged composition, where the characters talk around a lamp.

One thing that I noticed was the recurring appearance of Christian motifs. There's the shots of Hardy in the church, the discussion of the church closing, the little angel statuette with the broken wing that Rapace repairs and that later Schoenaerts places on the kitchen table, crucifixes on the walls and finally in the defining scene, Rapace's character is wearing cross earrings.

I think that all of these instances hint at Hardy's quest for salvation from the menacing world around him, as pointed out by PapayaTapper. Maybe there's also a biblical allegory in the plot? Curious if anyone has any thoughts on this.

@AnonymousBosch: I was able to watch this film on Netflix Canada. However, if Netflix AUS is anything like the Canadian version, its catalog will be significantly smaller than the US version. Have you looked into tapping into the US version? There are lots of free ways to do this, be it an extension on your browser (Zenmate works on Chrome and Firefox) or downloading a VPN. In a news report from 2014, it was revealed that 1/3 of Canadians are masking their location to access US Netflix. I suspect that number is now much higher and that many Australians do the same.

@QC: Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this. I'm looking forward to the French film.

Messages In This Thread