rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

RVF Movie Club

RVF Movie Club

Quote: (10-01-2015 01:35 PM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

Quote: (10-01-2015 12:31 PM)renotime Wrote:  

I propose all movies are at least ten years old. While I loved The Drop I don't know if I can put it in my list of top 50 movies...yet.

Special Forces has 15 percent on rotten tomatoes and I couldn't find any reviews for El Colosio, so I can't really agree with those two recommendations.

I want to watch great fucking movies and time is a strong indicator.

But if the majority of you disagree with me, I'll keep my mouth shut.

And this is where I can see problems coming up. We're never going to have ground rules that satisfy everyone. I think limiting our choices to movies over ten years old is not a good idea, because you're leaving out a lot of good, timely films.

I also don't think we should limit ourselves to only our top 20 lists. There are a lot of unknown gems out there. We need to give them a chance.

Not everyone is going to agree with a monthly guide's selection. That's natural. If you don't want to see something, pass on it, and feel free to say "Hey, that movie is shit." You won't hurt anyone's feelings.

Or at least not mine.

I tried deliberately to pick movies that are not as well known, but still good. I think that's the best way to get the most out of this group.

Tastes are going to vary widely. Let's just be patient with each other and take some steps forward.

All right.

Friday I kick off the discussion here about "The Drop." Tom Hardy does his usual great job.

Perhaps the guide can give a brief explanation of why they chose a particular film. What resonated with them, they found interesting, unique, redemptive, etc? Doesn't have to be long...just enough to demonstrate the guide has given it some thought plus perhaps help "guide" the viewer in what to watch for

But QC is right...there are a ton of relatively unknown but great films out there.

What will likely happen and I see as a major benefit of this whole thing is that in many cases viewing the film again after the discussion will provide a different perspective and change some original opinions of it

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell

Messages In This Thread